Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Winterizing my RXP-X

So, the season is almost over and I need to winterize my RXP-X before winter comes and destroys it. I've never winterized anything before, so this will be an interesting and hopefully rewarding project! From what I've read on other winterization threads, this is what I've come up with on what needs to be done, and I just wanted to run this by some others to see if I'm covering everything that should be done. If you have any recommendations or warnings, please feel free to share.

1. Oil change. Someone told me that oil deteriorates if it sits too long and can cause damage to the engine?
    2. Fill the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer. Are they all the same?
    3. Run my ski on the hose to get the stabilizer thru the system and flush the exhaust.
    4. Run the ski off the hose to clear the water from the exhaust. Is this the best way to remove the water from the exhaust?
    5. Remove the rail and fog the injectors then replace the rail. Not sure what this entails really as I don't even know what a rail is!
    6. Remove the spark plugs and fog the cylinders, then replac the plugs.
    7. Remove the hoses from the intercooler. Then flush anti freeze thru it, then replac the bottom hose and add more antifreeze and replace the top hose. I'm assuming with new hoses?
    8. Remove the hose from the J pipe. Pour in anti freeze until it comes out of the nipple..Then replace the hose with a new one?
    9. Remove battery, clean and connect it to a trickle charger. Someone
    advised me not to store it on concrete. If you do, use cardboard as an
    insulator?
    10. Spray a Lube inside hull and all other areas. What kind of lube to use?
    11. Clean, then put the SeaDoo cover on, and put away.

I was hoping to do this end of OCT or beginning of NOV so I have some time to figure this stuff out.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    you pretty much got it, fuel rail- two/three torque bolts(11"pounds) hold injectors in,loosen up and spray in fogging oil while holding WOT to prevent gas from being sprayed out injectors.

Make it easy, don't winner-ize. Hardcore baby...............get a wet suit save the engine. Skeered, then put a bulb or two in housing

all I do is change the oil, hook a short hose to the flush port on the stern with a funnel in the end of the hose, start the motor and pour a gallon of antifreeze into the funnel and shut it off. disconnect the battery and leave it in the boat. hook it back up in the spring, press the start button and it starts. do all that other stuff if you want to, but it sounds like a lot of work to me. I did this with my 04 RXP and it always ran great for 5 summers. maybe I'm lazy, but I don't think you need to do all that other stuff. this system worked fine for me. yes, add Stabil to the gas.

+1

Cool winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    So, the season is almost over and I need to winterize my RXP-X before winter comes and destroys it. I've never winterized anything before, so this will be an interesting and hopefully rewarding project! From what I've read on other winterization threads, this is what I've come up with on what needs to be done, and I just wanted to run this by some others to see if I'm covering everything that should be done. If you have any recommendations or warnings, please feel free to share.

1. Oil change. Someone told me that oil deteriorates if it sits too long and can cause damage to the engine?
    2. Fill the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer. Are they all the same?
    3. Run my ski on the hose to get the stabilizer thru the system and flush the exhaust.
    4. Run the ski off the hose to clear the water from the exhaust. Is this the best way to remove the water from the exhaust?
    5. Remove the rail and fog the injectors then replace the rail. Not sure what this entails really as I don't even know what a rail is!
    7. Remove the hoses from the intercooler. Then flush anti freeze thru it, then replac the bottom hose and add more antifreeze and replace the top hose. I'm assuming with new hoses?
    8. Remove the hose from the J pipe. Pour in anti freeze until it comes out of the nipple..Then replace the hose with a new one?
    insulator?
    10. Spray a Lube inside hull and all other areas. What kind of lube to use?
    11. Clean, then put the SeaDoo cover on, and put away.

I was hoping to do this end of OCT or beginning of NOV so I have some time to figure this stuff out.
    1-4 good
    5 unnecessary
    6 yes
    7-8 totally unnecessary
    9 yes remove battery and put on trickle charger. The battery on the concrete is an OLD MYTH and totally BS!! This myth is perpetuated by knuckleheads - just google the topic - pure horse shit!
    10 unnecessary
    11 is the ski stored outside in the Ontario frigid tundra? If able store it inside with the seats off but covered.

I'm sorry your season is about over and don't forget to highdrate with Labatts Blue or some Moosehead!!

Really cool post summarizing the winterizing. Cool tip the one of covering it with the seats off.

Thanks!

+1

1. Oil change. Someone told me that oil deteriorates if it sits too long and can cause damage to the engine? Can go either way, i do it in the spring
    2. Fill the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer. Are they all the same? does the gas have ethanol in it? I have heard mix opinons about this. Personally i run it down as much as i can, then add the stabilizer. You can get it at any marine store.
    3. Run my ski on the hose to get the stabilizer thru the system and flush the exhaust. +1
    4. Run the ski off the hose to clear the water from the exhaust. Is this the best way to remove the water from the exhaust? +1
    5. Remove the rail and fog the injectors then replace the rail. Not sure what this entails really as I don't even know what a rail is! I dont bother.
    I do this
    7. Remove the hoses from the intercooler. Then flush anti freeze thru it, then replac the bottom hose and add more antifreeze and replace the top hose. I'm assuming with new hoses? Dont bother, you are getting antifreeze through the system when you are running it through. Just run the ski til you see pink coming out.
    8. Remove the hose from the J pipe. Pour in anti freeze until it comes out of the nipple..Then replace the hose with a new one? dont bother
    insulator? Huh? I just put mine in the garage.
    10. Spray a Lube inside hull and all other areas. What kind of lube to use? Good old seadoo lube, prob cost you about 15.
    11. Clean, then put the SeaDoo cover on, and put away. Does it live inside or out at this time? If you got it outside, get a tarp from home depot and wrap it up, you dont want you doo cover taking the winter abuse.

What i do is in the red above. i wish i could do the wetsuit and ride method, but winter skiing takes over.

+1
    Thanks for the responses!

As for the storage, it will be inside, but it is not heated. Temps can get as low as -30C (-22F). I didn't want the wind and snow blasting away at it.

I'm glad that points 5,7 and 8 are not really necessary... It DOES look like a lot of extra work!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxcrazy23 View Post
    does the gas have ethanol in it? I have heard mix opinons about this. Personally i run it down as much as i can, then add the stabilizer. You can get it at any marine store.
    I always use Ultra94 from Sunoco (http://www.sunoco.ca/default.aspx?ID=2390) and the website states it has up to 10% ethanol in it. I think every company uses ethanol these days. A member on GH (K447) mentioned that ethanol seems to attract moisture more?

+1
    Thanks for the responses!

As for the storage, it will be inside, but it is not heated. Temps can get as low as -30C (-22F). I didn't want the wind and snow blasting away at it.

I'm glad that points 5,7 and 8 are not really necessary... It DOES look like a lot of extra work!
    That's real good! Many suggest taking the seats off or just leaving them slightly open to keep moisture and fumes from building up inside the hull. I've been doing this every winter for 5 years and it really seems to be a good idea! I've also heard of some guys, hooking up an adapter to the water flush nozzle and blowing all the water out of the system with a air compressor. The fuel won't freeze even at -30c but any water sure will.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    What is this term "winterizing" mean ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information