Thread: Winterizing my RXP-X
09-29-2009, 03:28 PM #1
Winterizing my RXP-X
So, the season is almost over and I need to winterize my RXP-X before winter comes and destroys it. I've never winterized anything before, so this will be an interesting and hopefully rewarding project! From what I've read on other winterization threads, this is what I've come up with on what needs to be done, and I just wanted to run this by some others to see if I'm covering everything that should be done. If you have any recommendations or warnings, please feel free to share.
1. Oil change. Someone told me that oil deteriorates if it sits too long and can cause damage to the engine?
2. Fill the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer. Are they all the same?
3. Run my ski on the hose to get the stabilizer thru the system and flush the exhaust.
4. Run the ski off the hose to clear the water from the exhaust. Is this the best way to remove the water from the exhaust?
5. Remove the rail and fog the injectors then replace the rail. Not sure what this entails really as I don't even know what a rail is!
6. Remove the spark plugs and fog the cylinders, then replac the plugs.
7. Remove the hoses from the intercooler. Then flush anti freeze thru it, then replac the bottom hose and add more antifreeze and replace the top hose. I'm assuming with new hoses?
8. Remove the hose from the J pipe. Pour in anti freeze until it comes out of the nipple..Then replace the hose with a new one?
9. Remove battery, clean and connect it to a trickle charger. Someone
advised me not to store it on concrete. If you do, use cardboard as an
10. Spray a Lube inside hull and all other areas. What kind of lube to use?
11. Clean, then put the SeaDoo cover on, and put away.
I was hoping to do this end of OCT or beginning of NOV so I have some time to figure this stuff out.
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM #2
- Join Date
- Sep 2006
you pretty much got it, fuel rail- two/three torque bolts(11"pounds) hold injectors in,loosen up and spray in fogging oil while holding WOT to prevent gas from being sprayed out injectors.
Make it easy, don't winner-ize. Hardcore baby...............get a wet suit save the engine. Skeered, then put a bulb or two in housing
09-29-2009, 06:38 PM #3
all I do is change the oil, hook a short hose to the flush port on the stern with a funnel in the end of the hose, start the motor and pour a gallon of antifreeze into the funnel and shut it off. disconnect the battery and leave it in the boat. hook it back up in the spring, press the start button and it starts. do all that other stuff if you want to, but it sounds like a lot of work to me. I did this with my 04 RXP and it always ran great for 5 summers. maybe I'm lazy, but I don't think you need to do all that other stuff. this system worked fine for me. yes, add Stabil to the gas.
09-29-2009, 07:19 PM #4
7-8 totally unnecessary
9 yes remove battery and put on trickle charger. The battery on the concrete is an OLD MYTH and totally BS!! This myth is perpetuated by knuckleheads - just google the topic - pure horse shit!
11 is the ski stored outside in the Ontario frigid tundra? If able store it inside with the seats off but covered.
I'm sorry your season is about over and don't forget to highdrate with Labatts Blue or some Moosehead!!
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM #5
Really cool post summarizing the winterizing. Cool tip the one of covering it with the seats off.
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM #6
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM #7
Thanks for the responses!
As for the storage, it will be inside, but it is not heated. Temps can get as low as -30C (-22F). I didn't want the wind and snow blasting away at it.
I'm glad that points 5,7 and 8 are not really necessary... It DOES look like a lot of extra work!
09-29-2009, 08:23 PM #8
http://www.sunoco.ca/default.aspx?ID=2390) and the website states it has up to 10% ethanol in it. I think every company uses ethanol these days. A member on GH (K447) mentioned that ethanol seems to attract moisture more?
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM #9
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM #10
What is this term "winterizing" mean ...
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Pone in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 11-24-2007, 06:57 AM
By kevin2965 in forum Yamaha How To & FAQsReplies: 0Last Post: 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM
By Mykull in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)Replies: 6Last Post: 04-09-2007, 09:56 AM
By seadoo02xp in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQsReplies: 0Last Post: 09-26-2006, 08:37 PM
By Viser55 in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 10-12-2005, 12:21 PM