Kawasaki STS750 slower than a Polaris SLT700??

I need pointing in a right direction here. I bought two otherwise nice ski's with bad engines in both, put new engines in both, the Kawa 1995 sts 750 first. It runs fine, may still be running rich, but really runs nicely but not exciting. Well, I did not have any jet ski experience, so I thought that was just what a mid nineties 750 3 seater gets you.

So then i put the new engine in the 1996 Polaris SLT 700, which I expected to be slower, but thats wrong-It has gobs of acceleration compared to the Kawasaki (although harder to work on, in many ways). So I took the Kawasaki back out after riding the Polaris, and determined this:

The kawa runs very smoothly up to 5900 or 6000 rpm, but thats it. It takes a lot of rpm to get it to plane, and below 4000 rpm or so it drops off of plane. It just seems to take a lot of rpms to get the thing to move, and there is not much g force to it, which I did not realize until riding the Polaris. The impeller looks fine, I have not done the feeler gage but the clearances look tight.

Anyway, does what I am describing sound like pump issues, and what else should I focus on? thanks in advance for any ideas.

+1
    Sounds like a pump problem. Could be damaged impeller blades, too much clearance between the impeller & housing, or improper sealing where it attaches to the hull, or improper sealing around the intake grate/pump shoe.

+1
    the Kawi 750 engine pushed 75hp stock and the minor difference between the ss, sts, sx changed that a bit, it was no more than 5hp or so between the models unless you added the aftermarket upgrades (coffman pipe, or a Group K sleeper kit)

the Polaris 700 was a 92hp stock engine and the slt hull got on plane a lot faster and stronger than the kawi hull

You might stil have issues, but a stock 750 was 40-42MPH and a stock SLT700 was 51MPH.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    the Kawi 750 engine pushed 75hp stock and the minor difference between the ss, sts, sx changed that a bit, it was no more than 5hp or so between the models unless you added the aftermarket upgrades (coffman pipe, or a Group K sleeper kit)

the Polaris 700 was a 92hp stock engine and the slt hull got on plane a lot faster and stronger than the kawi hull

You might stil have issues, but a stock 750 was 40-42MPH and a stock SLT700 was 51MPH.

JMHO
    Wow, that much H.P. difference between a smaller Polaris engine and a Kawasaki, I would not have guessed that, but I did see the weights, and the Kawasaki STS looks smaller but weighs about 25lbs more. The Polaris also has an accelerator pump as well as a mid range jet on the stock Keihin carbs (the Kawa does not, which may also account for some of the hole shot differences... Bummer, the Kawa STS sures seems to handle better, I will go ahead and look for pump issues. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information