08-21-2006, 09:43 AM #1
Cylinder care after boring / rebuild
TO INSURE MAXIMUM CYLINDER LIFE WHEN INSTALLING YOUR NEWLY REFINISHED CYLINDER, FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
1. Check that stud holes and transfer ports (two-strokes) are clear of any debris. (boring chips, gasket paper, etc.)
2. THOROUGHLY wash each cylinder in hot water using dish washing detergent or commercial cleaner. Rinse and wipe with a clean (preferably white) paper towel. There should be no discoloration on the towel. A gray color remaining means you're not finished. Re-wash, and rinse, until the towel comes out absolutely clean.
3. Immediately, while still wet, spray the cylinder surface with a water dispersant/lube, (like WD-40, etc.) and again wipe with clean paper towel. (If the towel now looks rusty, you're too slow applying the lube. Keep spraying and wiping 'till there's no more rust. We recommend “Marvels mystery oil”
4. Now, wipe the cylinder with a light coat of your favorite 2-cycle oil.
5. The cylinder may now be wrapped and stored, or installed following your engine manufacturers instructions.
A few other hints....
Piston rings should be installed dry. (little or no oil), a coating on each piston
skirt is enough.
Be careful that ring gaps line-up with locating pins.-(two strokes).
Put a rag in the crankcase throat so the wrist pin clips don't disappear there.
.Be sure that the wrist pin clips are properly seated in piston grooves.
NEVER RE-USE a Piston Pin Clip (I don't care if it still looks good!)
New base, reed-block, manifold, exhaust & head gaskets are good insurance against air and oil leaks.
You should always “leak-test” a motor after rebuilding, this will save you money
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Goliath in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 16Last Post: 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
By chaz murray in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
By TheEngineer in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 9Last Post: 04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
By schlik83 in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
By Shawn001ca in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 08-15-2007, 09:38 PM