Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: union contract

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar

union contract

Ok guys I'm at work on my bb so apologies if this is messy. I work for the local UAW 838 and our contract runs out tonight at midnight. No agreement for extension has been reached and word is negotiations are still underway at this moment. A few weeks ago by a vote of 98% the members of the local approved a strike(which doesn't mean it will happen). With only 3 hours left in the current contract I find myself very nervous about what will happen tonight. I am prepared for the worst but hoping for the best. I enjoy my job completely but the brothers and sisters in my union come first. Fair pay and benefits are all we ask for. I want to know some of your opinions that are out there, but understand that this is a difficult time for a lot of hard working honest folks here in my hometown. To me this is about corporate america vs hard working america. My brain is boiling with curiosity as to what might happen in the next few hours. I'm hanging in here. Everything happens for a reason. I will update here with any news as soon as I can. Over and out.

+1
    Hopefully they will come to an agreement or get an extension. Back in 2000, we actually walked out at midnight, only to come back hour the next day after the agreement was made and the contract ratified.

I do wish for the best in your situation. I have been there.....every three years our contract negotiations come around and its stressful. I was a union member for 16 years, now for the past two, I am salary. but, I am still a big supporter of our local union United Steelworkers. There are things the salary workforce would not have if it were not for the hourly negotiations.

Hang in there and hopefully and john Deere will come ot an agreement to settle on. Just pray and have faith in God.

+1
    I go both ways on unions. We need them for corporate America not to just run over the little people (non exec's). But, I don't like the attitude from most of the union workers about not over producing. I work in the defense industry for x company on the finance side of things... If the trend I'm seeing is going on at every other company... bad things are coming. Oh sure we are coming out of a recession... why is it that very, very few people I know got their company raises frozen, but the unions still got there's.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    why is it that very, very few people I know got their company raises frozen, but the unions still got there's.
    Well I'd say bc unions are smart enough to get it in writing what they will be paid instead of getting screwed bc the company does whatever they want to save themselves a little dough. Our union is not full of greedy scumbags with attitudes like the stereotypical union worker (ok, there are a few. Lol). We don't want huge houses in fancy neighborhoods with 2 lexus in the drive. Just fair and honest wage for the value we put into the best tractor in the world. People here are proud to work for this great company (which didn't freeze any bonuses). I appreciate your opinions! Opens up the mind a bit more.

+1
    Good luck with your contract. Its not a good time for many hard working Americans.

Lets not turn this thread into Union Bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Good luck with your contract. Its not a good time for many hard working Americans.

Lets not turn this thread into Union Bashing.
    Thanks beerfarts, I don't think its a good time for many americans, especially those who are laborers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    Thanks beerfarts,.

I was forced to join a union with my newest job. I couldn't even tell you which one because I don't care. No Union, No Work. I'd be the first to tell them to shove it and work without them. I need money - My well being, as well as my families comes before any union. Just food for thought.

+1
    I know that AT&T has a union and their contract recently expired. The decision was made to strike but they never did. So they are currently still working but not under contract, whats messed up is that they could strike anyday. Thats about as unstable as it gets, I wonder since they are not on contract if they can get fired for no reason? Either way, hopefully there is still a chance work will continue. Hope everything works out for you man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettee View Post
    I was forced to join a union with my newest job. I couldn't even tell you which one because I don't care. No Union, No Work. I'd be the first to tell them to shove it and work without them. I need money - My well being, as well as my families comes before any union. Just food for thought.
    I totally agree with this, my bro in law is an electrician and couldnt get work through the union. A man needs to put food on the table and I didnt see the union provide anything but excuses for my brother in law.

Well, how's business?

The last company I worked for (automotive) closed a plant because the Union wouldn't accept their offer. The people are really hurting now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information