89 Waverunner WR500 Exhaust Gasket Install

I removed the engine and old gasket and ordered a New Yamaha OEM one. This new one is made up of 3 layers, all I think are metal (see photos). Do I just install this dry or as SBT states "It is SBT’s recommendation that all exhaust gaskets be sealed with Loctite® Copper Gasket Adhesive prior to installation.". If I went this route, would I put this on all 3 layers? I take it, this tank of a gasket will never blowout!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gasket1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	152952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gasket2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	152953  

you have the best gasket for the blowout/burnout issue on the 500..used dry,but only if your sufaces are in 'perfect' new condition, otherwise you will need sealer***..I would recommend you use a light smear of red high temp rvt on both the cylinder and plate sides.. It being 20 years old, it will not have perfect machined surface's anymore, with corrosion pits and heated sufaces ...

FYI, you only do the outer surfaces not the inner layers...

***.. you can use the copper coat ..it is good stuff , but I wouldnt recomend it for THIS specific application on an old 500..

More WR500 Gasket Stuff

Thanks. I have both the Loctite Copper Gasket Adhesive and Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone. There is very little pitting on the casings. So just coat the outside of the "Gasket" not the internal gaskets with the RTV and forget the Loctite. 1 more thing the bearing in the red circle, does it get it lubercation from the 2 cycle oil? I have it bathed in that now to keep it from crossion while I work on the gasket. Or do I clean it out and pack it with something? Thanks I hope to slap this together this week-end and fire it up. After I install the motor I have another wr500 that looks like the gasket is leaking? Oh well winter is almost here and the water gets hard!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casing1.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	153031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casing2.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	153032  

you need to clean that bearing unless its a sealed unit type.. it may have the metal shield on the other side so you may wish to remove the coupler and press it out.. that bearing area can get water into it because of the gaskets of earlyer design not being as well made in regards to area of sealing..once you have the bearing clean pack it with a marine type grease as this one doesnt get any other lubricants( i fill the cavity up about 1/2 of the openings total area)... remember there is a seal behind that bearing so unless you have another ( this you might damage pressing it out) just wipe and flush it as best you can and then repack ..dont use air as you may blow the tension spring off the seal lip...(NOTE:i will say that this is not the recomended way because of grease incompatabilitys )you can get by with a refill with a good grease as long as your bearing's existing grease is not burnt or broken down with contaminates ...

More WR500 Gasket Stuff

Ahhhhg! There seemed to be very little grease in there when I removed it. The exhaust might have leaked in there! I think I'll just clean it out best I can and repack it. Pulling the bearing seems like a bigger hassle then this waverunner is worth. I'll put this puppy back together this week-end and hopefully fire it up and check for leaks. Thanks for all the help!

factory doesnt pack much into that in the first place..I"d bet about a tablespoon at the most.. me.. i like marine grease because it has the ability to 'carry ' exess moisture (small amounts of leaked in water)and still protect the metal.... i use more than the factory does, to get abit more of that ability...

Done!

Thanks for the all the help!
    Everything went together well. Reinstalled it in the hull and it fired right up! No more leak! Tested it on the hose then took it out for a spin. Ran great, except I need to read up on tuning the carb, otherwise Wow not bad for a $200 pwc and another $100 in parts. This PWC looks to have been ridden hard, and not well taken care of and it still runs like a champ. I had to do a bit of elbow work removing all the BAD hull repairs someone has done over the years, everything from car bondo to silicon, let alone the fact they must have run this PWC with the exhaust gasket leak for years as the inside was just one gross mess! Now a few more tweaks and she'll be good to go for my kids.

Our state requires you to be certified to ride a PWC by yourself if under the age of 21. So my kids are taking the test and I'm also requiring them to spend 20 hours with me on the PWC before I let them go by themselves. I think I yell in their ear, "Look before you turn every 30 seconds!".

I prefer sailing and have had our sailboat all their lives but they really never liked to go out. So I made them a deal to get them "Jet Skis" if they got off the computer and came out to the lake, with me.

Could someone please tell me the number of this multi-layer gasket. The latest I can find is 61T-45113-A0 ant is sure isn't multi-layer. I've got 2 Waverunner 500s and both need this gasket. the one I have apart had a gasket identical to the 61T-45113-A0 and I sure don't want to put those back in.

I have the metal and the non..
    The metal 3 layer is 6k8 45113-A0
    Red fiber with metal sheild at burn area is 6k8-45113-O0 (dicontinued asbestos)
    Blue/white fiber w/o shield at burn area is 689-45113-A1 (would not use unless you make a tin shield for it)

the early o/e YAMAHA fiber gasket(red) will work fine also..I've run that for years with out burn issues...
    any gasket non O/E I would not use here...
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 06-29-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: found the #'s he asked

Thanks a bunch for the quick response. I'm gonna try to find the 3=layer locally.

Thread Information