Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A SL750 with fuel problems, I think?

Greetings all! Iím hoping thereís someone out there that can coach a PWC greenhorn (thatís me) on the finer points of getting a SL750 to behave. I bought it as an accessory/project to complement my other ski. And boy a project it has been.
    Hereís the problem: Iíve got a 1995 SL750 that starts hard, needs lots of choke and cranking on the starter to make her go. Once it starts I have to keep playing with the choke and throttle to keep it running. If I let off on the choke the engine will run for about 5 seconds and die. But, if I start the engine again, when it starts to starve for gas (RPM drop, my assumption on the starvation thing) and I apply more choke it will rev back up. All three plugs look wet, I assume with oil, with cylinder 1 being cleaner than the rest.
    Hereís what I know:
    1. The ski was allowed to set for around two years with bad gas in the system.
    2. Itís also possible the boat spent some amount of time on the bottom (going by the rust in item 4).
    3. The old fuel has been removed and the tank flushed; fuel lines, filters, etc have been replaced.
    4. Carbs have been pulled and flushed out. There are issues with the carbs. The screws used to hold the fuel inlet valve seats and pivot pins are rusted beyond the point of removal by a mere mortal. But I was able to verify that the needle valves were moving freely and all the crud was out of the system.
    5. I know I have spark on all three cylinders.
    6. As best I can tell there are no kinks in the tubing no engine water leaks, etc.
    And hereís where I can use some guidance. I believe the issue is in the fuel delivery system but Iím not sure if I have one or multiple problems. First how do I verify that the fuel delivery system working correctly? The fuel pump is pumping fuel, but is there enough volume? And what would be the best process to finish the setup on the carbs? Nothing says Iíve got all the low and high speed adjustments right. And finally are there other things I should be looking at thay maybe adding to my problems?
    Any ideas would be appreciated. FYI, Iím trying very hard to not make a big investment in this boat. If I can get running and get two or three seasons out of it Iíd be happy. Anything beyond that I would consider a gift.
    Thanks again

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    I would look up K447 as he has several schematics that you can down load, or 4strokepolaristech, or ph2ocroft as these are the best polaris guys on greenhulk.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skigrandpa View Post
    Greetings all! Iím hoping thereís someone out there that can coach a PWC greenhorn (thatís me) on the finer points of getting a SL750 to behave.

I bought it as an accessory/project to complement my other ski. And boy a project it has been.
    Iím trying very hard to not make a big investment in this boat.

If I can get running and get two or three seasons out of it Iíd be happy. Anything beyond that I would consider a gift.

Thanks again
    Welcome to the Hulk

Look at it this way. If you repair it properly, it is likely to last a lot longer than just three more years. Properly maintained, the Fuji engines are quite tough, and many owners have accumulated running hour counts in the hundreds.

When they do eventually get tired, rebuild parts are available, and not too expensive. The Fuji engine is well known, and plenty of knowledge is available.

The rest of the SL machine is also fairly well built.

If you take short cuts, and try to run that 15 year old engine without doing a proper job, the engine could fail in just a few minutes.

These high output 2-stroke Fuji engines do not put up with poor fuel delivery, or poor maintenance. Even a modest lean condition in just one cylinder can burn a hole through a piston in minutes.

The 750 engine is rated around 80HP, and in that light weight SL hull, it can be a lot of fun

If rust has compromised your current carbs, I would suggest finding and buying a complete carburetor set from a parted out machine.

You can re-use a carb rack from any Polaris Fuji 650, 750, or 780 engine. You need to do is change the carb jets to match the 1995 750 engine specs.

The guys on here would be happy to guide in terms of fine tuning a carb set from a non-750 engine.

Click the links below for some good starter info

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

Over the years, some issues have become well known, and effective corrective options are documented.

On your 1995 SL 750, I suggest you take the time to go through the machine from end to end. Update and replace the things that are known weak spots.

One thing you need to be sure about is the internal condition of the engine. Not only compression, but any rust inside the crank case is not good.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Sounds like a fuel issue for sure.

Get a nice set of carbs, or completely rebuild the ones you have.

Replace the fuel pump if you haven't. Triple outlet fuel pumps are the preferred style. John Zigler sells them for around $26.

Gas gauge problems?

I have 2 kawasakis" 2007 stx f 1500/1200 both have been sitting for 3- months ,I would start them every 2 weeks and run them ,any how can fuel with the darn 10% ethanol screw up the fuel gauge sending units my 1200 has a full tank and the warning for low fuel keeps coming on so I checked my 1500 ski and the gauge was fine I swapped out sending units to see if the 1200 would keep giving me the same problem quess what it did so I figure my problem is elsewhere maybe with a plug or a wire .So I put my 1500 fuel gauge sender back in the 1500 and quess what ? now the 1500 saki is doing the same thing ,does any one think the ethanol additive sitting and absorbing moisture could have done this ? I noticed the fuel has turned a little reddish color but that maybe from the fuel stabalizer i added. Also I am going to siphon and clean the tanks and fill up with hi test marine grade to see if that helps the sending units .Any ones opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Jimmy! You may want to start your own thread to get hits on your problem. I have to ask why you chose the Polaris forum for your Kawis, as we have a Kawasaki forum here too.

Can you pull the float from the sender and put it in some gas to see if it sinks?

Sorry wrong forum

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Also I have not soaked in in fuel yet they are like little hockey pucks that slide up and down on a post they do float up ,I think they got a little screwed up from the fuel with the ethanol in it .......Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. Since winter is almost here my mission at the moment is to winterize the boats and get them tucked away for a long winters nap. But before nap time I’m going to pull the carbs and fuel pump from the sl750. I’m going to try one more time to get the rusted screws out with hopes of doing a rebuild instead of a replace. Failing that, it’s time to go shopping! Sound like John will be a good place to start if I need parts. Thanks again.

It's amazing what you learn while servicing your ski before you put it up for the winter. I bought the boat used about two months back and have been fighting fuel problems since day one. Found one more piece to the puzzle today. I found out the last person to service the water separator put the filter cartridge in upside down. Instead of acting as a filter, it was acting like a plug. Shame everything is ready for storage and the carbs and pump are lying on my workbench waiting for rebuild and/or replacement. Maybe in the spring….

Thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information