Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

99 GP1200 Rebuild/Build - Help!

I recently lost Cylinder #2 due to oil line slipping off...had planned on switching to premix this winter and the couple extra months bit me in the arsh!

Anyways, while I'm knocking this rebuild out...anything else some of yall have done while doing it also? I love my GP, but all my buddies got modded GPRs that leave my stocker in the spray! Any suggestions? Not looking to keep up with them...just looking for alil something extra that I can knock out while doin the rebuild...

Thanks!
    Last edited by bullisland; 10-08-2009 at 08:05 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bullisland View Post
    I recently lost Cylinder #2 due to oil line slipping off...had planned on switching to premix this winter and the couple extra months bit me in the arsh!

Anyways, while I'm knocking this rebuild out...anything else some of yall have done while doing it also? I love my GP, but all my buddies got modded GPRs that leave my stocker in the spray! Any suggestions? Not looking to keep up with them...just looking for alil something extra that I can knock out while doin the rebuild...

Thanks!

What's your budget? You won't keep up with a GPR that's been modded ...but if you want to spend some loot...you can certainly turn it "GP" into a decent beast. Ported cylinders...increased compression...larger carbs...what's your budget?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    What's your budget? You won't keep up with a GPR that's been modded ...but if you want to spend some loot...you can certainly turn it "GP" into a decent beast. Ported cylinders...increased compression...larger carbs...what's your budget?

M
    yea I know I can't keep up with them...and budget...figuring around 800 or 900 for my cylinder rebuild...so maybe 500. guess just wondering what the best bang for the buck people normally do, but that also might be easier while I'm already workin on her

tell us how you ski is set up now and we can help you further

I'd buy fa's and get those cyliners ported or DIY if you got some templates(SPORT PORTING) while in the rebuilding stage, then mill the stock head a bit and with the further addition of aftermarket reeds/cages(new or good used) this all will help alot ..NOTE:figure in new jetting costs for the three carbs as you will need to do this with the above additions..

you'll also then need to get your impeller rebent to a steeper pitch, at minimum to be able to hook up your new found power.. finding good used xo series is fairly cheep too..

keep an eye on the classifyeds here on ghpf and e bay for f/a's and reeds as guys will be selling more as winter approches .. post a wanted here in old school in this thread( until you get 50 posts you wont be able to post in classifyeds yet) .. some of the oldschool guys may be able to hook you up reasonably..

what your asking can be done with in your basic range if you look for good deals and do alot yourself..

Here is a good site to read about some engine modifications that you can do. If you can swing the budget you can send you head cylinders and carbs to them to have modified.

http://groupk.com/y1100-1200.htm

+1
    Mill the head for 150 PSI which is still pump gas safe "93"
    Switch to pre-mix at 40:1
    Remove choke plates...and install primer
    Solas 13/19 prop
    R&D intake grate and ride plate
    Porting by Tim Judge and or Dan Lamey or maybe even Kevin if he wants to do 65U stuff
    Reeds...VF3's....or VF2's
    Larger carbs down the road

M

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Haha.. I know exactly where Bull Island is! I used to hang out there a LOT.

haha well you'll have to come back down and hang out some more! I'm the only GP fella in my group. Everyone else has GPR's...I don't keep up with them running the creeks but damn do I launch my ass off a wave better! Gotta love the Ches. Bay and all our windy creeks

AND BTW thanks for the responses! I'm going to be considering it! still on the fence if I wanna put the money into modding the GP, or keeping her stock and also buying a GPR since we get plenty of choppy water being in the Chesapeake Bay and maybe once or twice a summer we'll make the run across the bay to the tiki bar on the Eastern Shore and the GP just won't make the trip with a herd of GPRs (well she WILL but you know what I mean)...would be so nice to be able to mod my GP that has my heart and buy a GPR for my SECOND () ski

someone gimme a few grand! haha

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bullisland View Post
    haha well you'll have to come back down and hang out some more! I'm the only GP fella in my group. Everyone else has GPR's...I don't keep up with them running the creeks but damn do I launch my ass off a wave better! Gotta love the Ches. Bay and all our windy creeks

Haha.. That means I would keep up with NONE of you!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information