Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1994 XP Exhaust Removal

Have two of 3 bolt/1 nut setup. Looks like they broke. Black exhaust all over the top of the engine. I removed the ring clamp and the two bolts that were left, removed all of the hoses to the upper "tuned pipe". See red stuff between the upper and lower pipes (assuming that is a sealant of some sort). Pulled like h$#% and it wouldn't budge. I am reluctant to torch it since I am SO CLOSE to the gas tank. Any ideas?

wizz wheel with a scotch brite cookie disk to remove the gasket material, or a wire wheel.

+1
    I am assuming that the stud where the nut goes is broken and not still there.

If all faseteners are indeed out then cut what you can and try to get it to wobble. Once it will move a little you can work it and it should come loose

Now, for what caused it to break the bolts.

Look on this diagram.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=20&B=5

Look at 40 and 41 on this diagram. Those are the sleeve and mount bushing (one sleeve and two bushings per mount-XP is the double mount pipe). There are bolts that go through those bushings but they are not on the diagram (go figure). Most likely those bushings are worn out. When they let the pipe move (though not much) it works the bolts until they finally either come loose and break, or just break.

These are not expensive parts but they are almost always overlooked.

+1
    Thanks. As it turned out two of four bolts "on top" piece of manifold sheared. One of two side or horizontal mount bolts was missing. The bushings were very worn out and somewhat frayed. So I think the problem has been found. Parts on the way.

sounds like you have a plan,, did you get the "sheared" remains to come out??

+1
    BTW the only way to get the two pipes apart (red sealant in the middle) was to take out the lower pipe and upper pipe and apply very little force. The drawing from the parts manual shows a gasket, there wasn't one. There was a whole lot of sealant and one side of the pipe is raised. I did order a gasket .....after looking at the drawing. What do you think?

+1
    It may be welded by goo into the groove. It should have one, so just wire brush that area and make sure the old one is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    It may be welded by goo into the groove. It should have one, so just wire brush that area and make sure the old one is gone.

agreed, get it clean and install with a fresh gasket

+1
    Got the pipes apart by attacking from the bottom! Cleaned that all up. Drilled out the two sheared bolts. Got one out. Broke the tap off in the second trying to get it out. So this ought to be interesting.....do you drill the tapet??? Sorry spelling isn't my specialty. The bushings were shot on the side bolt that was in the manifold, second one missing in action...wonder where that went????!!! So maybe looking for a used manifold if I can't make progress on the "second drilling"! Thanks for all the help.

+1
    It is tough to drill a tap or an extractor.

Do you have a machine shop around that you use? When I have a bolt broke like that I have found it well worth the money to just take to them as they have ways that I do not.

If you need a used one try with Wayniac or Waterworx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information