Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

This flywheel isn't budging

I feel totally defeated right now...this dammed flywheel will NOT come off.

I have a puller on it and tightened that with an impact wrench. I tried putting heat to it...lots and lots of heat. I've tried hitting it with a hammer. Hitting it again with the impact wrench. Nothing. Not a budge.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull this motor and cut the SOB off. Anyone have anymore ideas? I'm really getting close to doing that. I soo don't want to but I don't have anymore ideas.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it is torqued up tight, give it some time. It may well release by itself in a few hours.

Apply some rust penetrant around the crank snout, and let it soak in. Not WD-40, something stronger. Kano, or PB Blaster...

Be careful working around there when it is under tension. It can let go at any time, and it can be violent. Some guys have had the flywheel fly clear across the garage from the bench

+1
    Exactly!!!

I put mine under pressure, hit it with a hammer a few times, torque it down one more time, and then throw a towel over it, to dampen the effect of it shooting across the room.

Go drink about 6 beers, and check on it. You may hear it decide to let go under all the stress. if not, hit the thing again with a rubber mallet, and go take a nap. Throw some more heat on it, while maintaining the gear puller pressure. Go eat dinner. Check it again.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    When it came time to remove my flywheel I went through three different pullers, bending the crap out of them, until I found one strong enough to stand up to the pressure it takes to get that thing to move. I still had to soak it with penetrating oil, torque it down, let it sit for 3 day, then smack the end of the puller with a big hammer to make the thing move. When it did come off, it flew across the workbench and made a hell of a bang! I wouldnt want to be in the way of that thing!

+1
    Thanks for the words, guys. I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who has had this much trouble. I sprayed some WD-40 (all I have) in the woodruff keyway (there isn't a key for some reason) and I'm off to bed. Maybe I'll wake up to it laying on the bottom of my hull.

+1
    If you leave the nut holding it on a full nut of thread it will save you repairing the damaged areas from the flywheel when it releases

Bernie

diesel ? i dont know whats more of a pita couplers or sticking flywheels or getting the nut off

+1
    Be PATIENT! It's not welded or bolted on. It will come off eventually.I had to heat mine multiple times to let it expand and shrink. Try a ice cube on the shaft after you heat the surrounding area of the flywheel up. Just rest it on the top of the crankshaft.and let it melt. Dont hold on to it, the flywheel may jump off at ya and cut ya.
    Any pb fliud or anything like that will help. A couple good hits with a hammer on the crank softening the blow with wood helps to move the pb fliud around.
    When you put it back on-----Heat the flywheel up at the center and put an ice cube on the shaft and let it melt naturally. when its half gone, grab the hot flywheel and slide it all the way down. it will go all the way on in one shot. Physics!. Heat expands, Cold shrinks. I was amazed it went on so easily after the time I had to get it off
    Be careful its not heated to much or else the magnets will become loose and then you have another problem to deal with later.
    Or..... Cold water on the shaft may work also after heating the flywheel. Mine jumped about 2 feet when it let loose. first a little pop, then pow, Off it came.

+1
    Thanks for the tip! I may try the ice cube trick. I'm planning on buying a new flywheel anyhow because one of the rivets has sheared off. I don't want to have to do this all again later on down the road.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone1050 View Post
    ... or getting the nut off
    Happens when I drink too much whiskey.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information