Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ride plate question

This may be hard to explain without a pic but here goes.

In front where the ride plate meets the shoe, off toward the sides on the ride plate is a notch for the transom plate to clear if needed.

When the ski is level on the trailer the lip that that notch leaves is above the shoe so all is well.

When the ski is on plane at about a 5 degree angle that notch makes a lip that will be plowed through the water creating drag.
    What is the fix you guys are using for this?
    I thought about blending it in smoothly with a grinder or something to that effect.

+1
    i ground it flat and smooth

+1
    It is good that you caught that.

The guys with the fast skis do not look at the boat and see it as it is on a trailer, but envision it as it is moving through the water.

For instance, all of the bolt holes underneath the boat would not create a lot of drag if the hull were traveling at 0 degrees. But the boat is traveling at an angle. When the water hits the hull as it is traveling through the water at a 2,3, or 5 degree angle, it creates pockets of resistance that increases exponentially the faster you go. That is why plugging the holes at low speeds is not all that important, but helps tremondously the faster you go.

Envision the intake gullet as the boat travels through the water and the angle changes from 5 to 2 degrees. Do you see the business part of the intake hole getting smaller the closer your boat travels at 0 degrees?
    Last edited by salty; 08-21-2006 at 01:32 PM.

+1
    bevel the edges..good thinking on your part.

+1
    as Hydrotoys would say...

"the force is strong with this one"

Thanks guys, Ive been looking at the ski a different way recently. currently I have the ride plate at a 4.85 degree angle so while its on the trailer I jack the tounge up so the ride plate is level to the floor (not angled). Then from the front of the trailer I shoot a laser level at the bottom of the ski and it shines a whole new light on things (like where and how the waters going to hit). Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by porksword
    Thanks guys, Ive been looking at the ski a different way recently. currently I have the ride plate at a 4.85 degree angle so while its on the trailer I jack the tounge up so the ride plate is level to the floor (not angled). Then from the front of the trailer I shoot a laser level at the bottom of the ski and it shines a whole new light on things (like where and how the waters going to hit). Thanks again.

I like this...I'm going to give this a try to see how I'm sitting.

+1
    I have been working with a level lazer as well. I will send you a couple of pictures of the hull at 5 degrees and 2 degrees. The bolt hole actually light up as you raise and lower the lazer, indicating that there is a problem, and the scattering light shows you basicly what water does as it hits the holes at that angle.

If you shine the lazer at 2-3 degrees, then look at the fountain racing pictures or spuds pictures, you will come to see that they are a perfect match.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty
    I have been working with a level lazer as well. I will send you a couple of pictures of the hull at 5 degrees and 2 degrees. The bolt hole actually light up as you raise and lower the lazer, indicating that there is a problem, and the scattering light shows you basicly what water does as it hits the holes at that angle.

If you shine the lazer at 2-3 degrees, then look at the fountain racing pictures or spuds pictures, you will come to see that they are a perfect match.
    I've seen the lazer demo salty did on my hull representign how each angle looks.......opened my eyes up ! actually seeing how the water hits the hull really brought everything to a different perspective on my understanding on hull angle and the water's interaction with it at each angle.

show em the pics Dave

I cant wait to see them!

My wife thought I had lost it when she goes out to the shop and sees me playing on the floor with lasers and smoke for the full effect. I think I even had a little pink floyd playing in the background
    Last edited by porksword; 08-21-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information