Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Engine/Intercooler Cooling Kit Install

How long dis it take you guys to do this install? Also, any tips or tricks above and beyond what the long instructions say to make the process smoother/easier?

hey Carlos pm r3 killa he has done the install

+1
    Carlos--Instal is easy. Just take your time and mark where the three bulkhead fittings go through the transom plate. Mark them and then take the bulkhead fitting on the outside where you marked them and look to see if each mark works with the fitting. It's tight in there and I needed a long drill bit as I couldn't reach it with the one I had without removing the pump.

The instructions were good and easy to follow. I have since installed ball valves in the oil and enging supplies that were added with the kit and keep them closed since the temps have gotten very cool. I keep the ball valve to the IC open.

One question I had was if my kit had the "optional" oil cooler supply. I called R & D and they said all kits now come with that (I had three bulkhead fittings as well which should've been a clue).

I didn't really do it with speed in mind and I bet it took about three to four hours working around my buddy a bit that was doing the intake manifold upgrade. PM me if you have any questions during the instal--I normally get messages quickly and may be able to help.

+1
    Drill? I did not see the words drill in the instructions. I need to drill stuff? I don't like to drill. Probably because I DON'T HAVE ONE!!

Is there a non-drilling approach or do I need to do the manly thing and go buy a frickin drill set?

+1
    No drill????!!111 How are you even able to sleep at night? lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Drill? I did not see the words drill in the instructions. I need to drill stuff? I don't like to drill. Probably because I DON'T HAVE ONE!!

Is there a non-drilling approach or do I need to do the manly thing and go buy a frickin drill set?
    Well... You could probably get away with one or two drill bits. I did a pilot hole with something smaller like 5/16" dia. or whatever seems sharp around that size and then the correct size holes for the bulkhead fittings. I believe it was 7/8" dia. but my memory is just about as short as something else.

Something else just came to mind. Without pulling the pump I took a long drill bit (around 18" long or so) and did the pilot hole with it from outside and then ran the larger bit through from the inside.

Then there is the pisser hole that will need to go in the back of the ski just below the seat. Maybe I shouldn't have brought that one up?

Keep in mind that if you get the Riva Power Cooler it comes with the parts to seperate the engine and I/C cooling lines. The stock line that was feeding the engine and IC with water will only be feeding water to the engine. A new line with a thru hull fitting is plumbed to the pump screen and that feeds the IC with water.

I read this as improved engine cooling...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    A new line with a thru hull fitting is plumbed to the pump screen and that feeds the IC with water.
    Being that I have not installed it yet...I understand your post minus the sentence above. But in summary...its all good...is what is sounds like.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Keep in mind that if you get the Riva Power Cooler it comes with the parts to seperate the engine and I/C cooling lines. The stock line that was feeding the engine and IC with water will only be feeding water to the engine. A new line with a thru hull fitting is plumbed to the pump screen and that feeds the IC with water.

I read this as improved engine cooling...
    Dumb question here. Where does the stock cooling water supplies come from?

BTW I really likey the Riva IC.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Dumb question here. Where does the stock cooling water supplies come from?

A plate with a fitting is attached to the pump strainer and a line runs from that to a thru hull hitting. From there it goes directly to the I/C. Similar to the R&D IC cooling kit... but a larger thru hull fitting.

Here's a pic of the stock IC line capped off.

This is the I/C Cooling line on the pump

This is the I/C installed (It's tight!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information