97 polaris sltx1050

Hey guys, this is my first post in the forums after weeks of researching on a '97 polaris sltx1050 i received for dirt cheap from my cousin. He didn't want to spend time and money on fixing this ski and went out and bought a newer pwc so he sold it to me for cheap.

After all the troubleshooting and general maintenance, the problem has been pinpointed and the symptoms observed are the result of the failed ignition. Therefore, i have already received the upgrade kit and am now, along with my associates, are preparing/planning to tackle the challenge of yankin' out the flywheel, to replace the stator and the cdi module this weekend.

I hope i can follow your progress as i would like to share my experiences as well.

My first plan is to purchase the harmonic balancer to remove the flywheel. To create space, i am planning to loosen the tank and slide it forward and remove the oil tank as well.

The next step seems to be a great challenge once i remove the cover, i will try to remove the flywheel according to the manual using the puller and doing the method of inserting a rope into the cylinder to have something to work against when crankin' on the puller.

if you have any good words or suggestions please let me know. Also, Please continue to post on how your ignition upgrade is going and what challenges you are coming across.

Quote Originally Posted by kainalo808 View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post in the forums after weeks of researching on a '97 polaris sltx1050 i received for dirt cheap from my cousin. He didn't want to spend time and money on fixing this ski and went out and bought a newer pwc so he sold it to me for cheap.

After all the troubleshooting and general maintenance, the problem has been pinpointed and the symptoms observed are the result of the failed ignition. Therefore, i have already received the upgrade kit and am now, along with my associates, are preparing/planning to tackle the challenge of yankin' out the flywheel, to replace the stator and the cdi module this weekend.

I hope i can follow your progress as i would like to share my experiences as well.

My first plan is to purchase the harmonic balancer to remove the flywheel. To create space, i am planning to loosen the tank and slide it forward and remove the oil tank as well.

The next step seems to be a great challenge once i remove the cover, i will try to remove the flywheel according to the manual using the puller and doing the method of inserting a rope into the cylinder to have something to work against when crankin' on the puller.

if you have any good words or suggestions please let me know. Also, Please continue to post on how your ignition upgrade is going and what challenges you are coming across.
    welcome to the hulk!

you may want to post a new thread in polaris general discussion, rather than hijacking another thread (you didn't do anything wrong, that's just what it 's called heh)...plus you will get a faster response on a new thread than a reply to someone else's.

when you use the rope, just make sure none of the rope gets into the exhaust port, very important...also make sure you use nylon rope, something that won't leave debris inside the engine.

there are a lot of people talking about flywheel pull difficulties, so make sure you use the search function of the site liberally and get as much info as you can before attempting.

here is a link to some good instructions: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...23#post1105423

enjoy!

Ooops, sorry bout that, kinda new to this. Anyway, ill go ahead and give it a try if i have any questions or troubles with the install.

By the way, is this procedure easier to perform in the hull or does removing the engine a better way to install the stator?

Thread Information