Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar

Oh NO.... My First (Running) GP1200R DIED !!!!!!!

The pics above about sum up my reaction...... I was at the lake today hulling butt across it when I notice that the attitude of my ski seemed wrong. I go through a no wake zone and when I punch it to exit I have acceleration issues. So I cruise over to the dock only 100 ft away and pull the seat. To my surprise the water temperature sensor has popped out of the stinger and the bottom of the boat is full of water. At least that explains the attitude of the boat. While I am waiting for my wife to get the trailer from the other side of the lake, I notice that my PET says the max rpm WAS 7980

So what did I find when I got home...........

Thankfully no damage to the cylinders or head

Dirty pointing at MAG

Clean pointing at MAG

So what happened? Any recommendations on new pistons?

Oh well season is over anyway

+1
    Man.....how much water in the hull? Your engine drank alot of water!
    Well, i would have plugged the stinger back up,pulled the plugs and turned the motor over till the water all came out,reinstalled the plugs and ran it hard to get the water burned out. Now your looking at rust in the crank/bearings. . How many hours on the motor?
    You might have injested enough water to make it bog and not hurt anything. Throw the head back on aafter you spin the motor over and see if water comes out. Compression test and if thats good then i would run it right away. Your wash looks ok.
    BTW...the 7980 rpm was a fluke.

The water was to the bottom of the motor mounts.

The engine has about 1 hour since I tore it down and cleaned it, checked the crank, and replaced the seals. The pistons were also cleaned before I installed them and the domes were new.

I don't think that it ingested any water since the level was so low, and I was able to re-thread the sensor and idled around the loading area until my wife came back. I could not go ballsout b/c the sun had set and the rangers are strict. I figured the 7980 was either a fluke or a once in a life time run Anyway the ski starts and started right back up when I got off it. I got home and had even +- 2 psi compression and then I pulled the head. When I saw the dime sized marks I thought that I had started to burn the piston which is why I posted. Just to be safe each cylinder received 6 ounces of oil and will be ran as soon as I reinstall the head. I believe the dot is just a casting mark after being informed by another great forum member. It just freaked me out b/c it is raised. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Man.....how much water in the hull? Your engine drank alot of water!
    Well, i would have plugged the stinger back up,pulled the plugs and turned the motor over till the water all came out,reinstalled the plugs and ran it hard to get the water burned out. Now your looking at rust in the crank/bearings. . How many hours on the motor?
    You might have injested enough water to make it bog and not hurt anything. Throw the head back on aafter you spin the motor over and see if water comes out. Compression test and if thats good then i would run it right away. Your wash looks ok.
    BTW...the 7980 rpm was a fluke.

+1
    RIDE MORE, WORRY LESS.

When a two stroke ingest water, do NOT run home and rip it apart.

Make the water leak stop. If you can't make it stop, make it small enough that you can run the ski.
    Take the spark plugs out and turn over the engine till the water stops coming out... yours was still running so it couldn't have been very much water, let alone enough to even pull out the spark plugs.
    Ride the heck out of it to dry out the engine, and remove any traces of water from the crankcase.

I will do it...... First thing in the AM. Each hole got plenty of oil and lots of fogging oil. I will let you all know how it turns out. I just freaked out when it bogged down and read almost 8000 rpm. I also thought the casting mark was the beginning of a hole.

Oh well I will let you all know how it goes......

Thank you so very much for the help and the phone calls.

I love this place!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    RIDE MORE, WORRY LESS.

Make the water leak stop. If you can't make it stop, make it small enough that you can run the ski.
    Take the spark plugs out and turn over the engine till the water stops coming out... yours was still running so it couldn't have been very much water, let alone enough to even pull out the spark plugs.
    Ride the heck out of it to dry out the engine, and remove any traces of water from the crankcase.

All right it is all back together. I found that two of the four threads I cut into the pipe for the water temp sensor were stripped out. For now I used jbweld to hold it in place. I will see if it holds and if not I will stick a 10mm x 1.25 bolt in its place until I can get it back to the dock. Per the manual I torqued the sensor to 14 ft*lb. Apparently that was too tight for my particular pipe. I will create and post a better solution than the jbweld (which will fail eventually) as soon as I can.

Thank you for all the help.......

I still can't believe that I took the piston casting marks to be the beginnings of piston holes. What makes it even more frustrating is that DIRECTLY behind me are two more engines and some extra pistons that clearly have the same mark.

+1
    If that's the worst you ever do, you will have a smooth watercraft life.

Look into timeserts.

http://www.timesert.com/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    RIDE MORE, WORRY LESS.

unless some asshole tows you at 50 mph after your ski is broke.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by christian79 View Post
    All right it is all back together. I found that two of the four threads I cut into the pipe for the water temp sensor were stripped out. For now I used jbweld to hold it in place. I will see if it holds and if not I will stick a 10mm x 1.25 bolt in its place until I can get it back to the dock. Per the manual I torqued the sensor to 14 ft*lb. Apparently that was too tight for my particular pipe. I will create and post a better solution than the jbweld (which will fail eventually) as soon as I can.

Thank you for all the help.......

I still can't believe that I took the piston casting marks to be the beginnings of piston holes. What makes it even more frustrating is that DIRECTLY behind me are two more engines and some extra pistons that clearly have the same mark.

Call me back when you get to the water.

Cool

ITS ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got back from the lake and there were no issues. I ran two bars of gas out of the ski at full throttle just to be sure to remove any water that may have been ingested. But this time the PET read a more realistic 7080

Thank you for all the help guys......

Tomorrow is my last day out so the tank will get fuel stabilizer before I top it off and ride it hard for a few hours. After that it gets winterized and cleaned up. I still have two more to build after all

BTW does any one have a good source for the Timesert inserts? I will be using their product to repair the threads in my stinger and in the other two stingers to this NEVER happens again!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information