RIVA Through Hull Exhaust Template Issue

I am preparing to drill the hole for the exhaust outlet and am lining up the template on the hull of my 2007 limited. The template says the top edge should be against the underside of the bond flange and the cutout for the tie-down cleat should line up there too. Well when I slip the template up to the tie-down cleat it doesn't even come close to the bond flange, it looks to be about an inch down from there. So my question is, what looks right? Should I drill it as it is now, or should I move the template up on the hull so the top edge is closer to the lip of the hull? Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020500.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	153201  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ndgtxltd View Post
    I am preparing to drill the hole for the exhaust outlet and am lining up the template on the hull of my 2007 limited. The template says the top edge should be against the underside of the bond flange and the cutout for the tie-down cleat should line up there too. Well when I slip the template up to the tie-down cleat it doesn't even come close to the bond flange, it looks to be about an inch down from there. So my question is, what looks right? Should I drill it as it is now, or should I move the template up on the hull so the top edge is closer to the lip of the hull? Any thoughts?
    Just looking at pic, it looks a bit low to me, but is hard to tell for sure.

+1
    this is the only pics i could find on T-X.

I thru in the 4th pic on a tip for the RXT or GTX install. Fish the flange back thru hull with wire and then put silicone on flange and use the bolts to fasten flange to hull. Let dry and bingo. remove bolts and install thru hull.
    Be sure and use plenty of silicone to seal thru hull to hull.

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	153202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1603.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	153203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	153204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	153205  

+1
    After looking at pics, it looks like your are pretty close.

Thanks for the quick reply! After looking at the pics, I think I agree with your first comment, it looks like it is 1/2 to 1 inch too low. I don't think I'll be able to tell with enough accuracy where it needs to be on the inside with the new water box and such, it is a pain to reach back into that corner on the gtx. I'm thinking about drilling it a 1/2 inch higher than the template shows as I have it taped on now.

This is my first exhaust install, will this inch or so even make a difference? I'm installing the riva shorty water box directly to this outlet with the 4-tec silicone coupler. I'm thinking it will be fine, that there is a bit of play in the system to work with.

+1
    Thanks for the quick reply! After looking at the pics, I think I agree with your first comment, it looks like it is 1/2 to 1 inch too low. I don't think I'll be able to tell with enough accuracy where it needs to be on the inside with the new water box and such, it is a pain to reach back into that corner on the gtx. I'm thinking about drilling it a 1/2 inch higher than the template shows as I have it taped on now.

This is my first exhaust install, will this inch or so even make a difference? I'm installing the riva shorty water box directly to this outlet with the 4-tec silicone coupler. I'm thinking it will be fine, that there is a bit of play in the system to work with.
    YOu should be fine. There is enough play to make work with in a inch of so.

Since is so hard to reach back there, fish the flange back there with wire and put a bit a silicone on it, and use the bolts to tighten up flange to proper spot. Let dry and remove bolts and flange will stay in place. Then just place thru hull in place with silicone and tighten up.

Then access the side opas hole to tighten up clamp on hose to thru hull.

Name:	IMG_1595.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	153206  

Yes, I would drill it where the template shows like you have it taped. You should be fine.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Yes, I would drill it where the template shows like you have it taped. You should be fine.
    I agree when i did my RXT i lifted it up about 1/2" and now the pipe rattles on the hull where the cowling for the seat is, if i would have done it the 1/2" lower i would have had enough room, so i cut a bit of the waterbox cover off and zip tied it around the pipe so it doesnt rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    YOu should be fine. There is enough play to make work with in a inch of so.

Since is so hard to reach back there, fish the flange back there with wire and put a bit a silicone on it, and use the bolts to tighten up flange to proper spot. Let dry and remove bolts and flange will stay in place. Then just place thru hull in place with silicone and tighten up.

Then access the side opas hole to tighten up clamp on hose to thru hull.
    Thanks for the tips on installing the tip, I did it exactly as you suggested skoepp and it worked perfectly. Thanks to everyone else who replied as well, I love this forum. What the heck did we all do before the internet existed? Sure is nice having all this information a click or two away!

As an aside, What was RIVA thinking when they marked the bolt holes on the template? I held the exhuast tip up to the template and the bolt holes aren't even close to being where they should be. IMO they shouldn't even show those bolt holes on the template, instead they should say in the instructions what a lot of members on here are saying: drill the big hole using the template, then hold the exhaust tip up and use it for pilot holes when drilling those bolt holes.

+1
    Thanks for the tips on installing the tip, I did it exactly as you suggested skoepp and it worked perfectly. Thanks to everyone else who replied as well, I love this forum. What the heck did we all do before the internet existed? Sure is nice having all this information a click or two away!

As an aside, What was RIVA thinking when they marked the bolt holes on the template? I held the exhuast tip up to the template and the bolt holes aren't even close to being where they should be. IMO they shouldn't even show those bolt holes on the template, instead they should say in the instructions what a lot of members on here are saying: drill the big hole using the template, then hold the exhaust tip up and use it for pilot holes when drilling those bolt holes.
    Glad i could help.
    The 3 seater can be one the biggest pains to work on any where in the back of ski.

I agree on the bolt holes and forgot to give you that tip.
    I like to put the thru tip in place and then make a mark with small bit where they need to be like you stated.

Thread Information