Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

00-XP Pump Question

just recieved my new wear ring today. OEM. i replaced it. i also changed the pump oil, and once i was done i noticed the impeller rubs more on on end than the other end, its not a big rub, it still spins, but not freely. the other end gap is withing specs, what could be the cause of this?
    wear ring needs a little wear?
    my concern is that i dont want to tear a new ring up.
    i checked the tension of the thrust bearing and its fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    noticed the impeller rubs more on on end than the other end, its not a big rub, it still spins, but not freely. my concern is that i dont want to tear a new ring up.
    i checked the tension of the thrust bearing and its fine.
    I have the stock props welded on the outer edges so as to give a zero gap between the liner .I have done this for the past 8 years as it gives zero cavitation off the starting line and maximum performance.

When they rub on the liner you need to bed them in properly.

1) Before installation smear a good amount of synthetic grease on the prop blades because when the engine starts it flicks off onto the liner and helps the prop bed in perfectly.

2) Before pump installation (careful of the drive shaft moving backwards jambing up ,tilt ski down at front before starting)start the engine and get it warm because you want the engine to start instantly when you are ready.

3)Install pump properly while engine is still warm.

4)Have a running hose next to the ski and start the engine and rev it up and down for say 30 seconds then WHILE the engine is still running squirt the pump housing down(about 10 sec) from the underside this will cool the impeller and pump liner and that's it your liner and prop are bedded in.

5)Turn off engine and go skiing.

6)After this I avoid beaching these skis on sandy beaches as the sand will wear the liner away more than anything else.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Loosen the ears on the pump, while shining a light where the prop is touching. If, when you get the nut loose enough to not touch the ear, and you visually see the prop move away from the wear ring, the pump needs shimming to prevent the ears from distorting the wear ring...when tightened.

The bottom two are the most prone to flexing and causing this.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    i appreciate this, makes exact sense to me, I never get to close to shore while the engine is running, i take care of them like a selfish bastard, not even my brothers that help me build the skis dont get to drive them. lol.
    i will do as it says above,

off topic, just got back from testing the gsx, it was running crappy, i guess a fouled plug or the gas, as soon as i reaached 6k rpm. it would misfire, on one the cyilinders. then the freaking cooling line coming from the pump to engine came off. i guess the clamp was not tight enough, i melted the damn silicone coupler, on the coffman, anyways it was running like crap, and tracked it 42.5gps @5500 rpms

Thread Information