Thread: ESPN FAIL!

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar

ESPN FAIL!

I snapped this picture with my phone during the Iowa Hawkeyes vs Arkansas State game today. I had to rewind, pause, and re-read what I was seeing. I thought I was going crazy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vikingspackers.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	153267  

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    How do you figure? The home team is always second. The pictures are just the background. What did you want the art department to redo the whole background. Whoever picked the action shot of Farve went with this action shot and he has to look towards the middle of the graphic. Farves GB backup looks towards the center also. The guy that did the overlay may have noticed the discrepancy but did his job correctly. Fail would have been Minn. Vikings vs Green Bay. Notice that the team names are not centered on the players. It may look awkward but there is nothing wrong with this graphic as IMHO it is not implying the wrong teams.

it looks completely wrong to me. They should have chosen different photos if thats what they wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    How do you figure? The home team is always second. The pictures are just the background. What did you want the art department to redo the whole background. Whoever picked the action shot of Farve went with this action shot and he has to look towards the middle of the graphic. Farves GB backup looks towards the center also. The guy that did the overlay may have noticed the discrepancy but did his job correctly. Fail would have been Minn. Vikings vs Green Bay. Notice that the team names are not centered on the players. It may look awkward but there is nothing wrong with this graphic as IMHO it is not implying the wrong teams.
    it is, in fact, incorrect. if the names stay in the same location they put "AT" between the names of the teams. Green Bay AT Minnesota. if the home team is listed first they put VS.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    it is, in fact, incorrect. if the names stay in the same location they put "AT" between the names of the teams. Green Bay AT Minnesota. if the home team is listed first they put VS.
    In the U.S. news media the home team is always second (not sure about Canada). The rest of the world places the Home team first. They usually use the word versus but it does not designate a home team. The reason the home team is second in the U.S. only is usually attributed to baseball scores being one of the first team sports published in Newspapers. Since the visiting team bats first the home team is always on the bottom of the scoring line.

I've did some radio sports announcing and when doing upcoming games I never used the word "at". For next weeks games I would use verses and emphasize the second (home) teams name.

"Next week we have the New York Jets versus the Miami Dolphins live from Land Shark Stadium"

Now team management will use the "at" and "versus" on schedules to always keep their teams name first but for U.S. sports media outlets the "versus" does not imply home team. The second team is always the home team.

I even researched and couldn't find it anywhere where it says "versus" inexplicably means the first name is the home team. "At" is self explanatory. The references I saw refer to the U.S. and the rest of the world and first name or second name. Versus basically means one team playing another.

Now if your a English rugby fan I can see where the confusion would be.

wow lets argue about this... seems like something worth arguing about. the only reason i posted it because it looks stupid having the names on the wrong sides. that's the reason they put the pictures and team emblem on there was to put the team name on that side of the advertisement. it's screwed up, pretty obvious to me.

I agree, its completely wrong no matter how you look at it.

Thread Information