Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

787 Antifreeze/ Winterizing Procedure

In a few short weeks I will be winterizing my ski. Last year I was lucky and stored my ski inside a heated barn & able to start it once/ twice a week - not this year.

I photocopied my 787 cooling system diagram & on the bottom of the page (Refer A - B - C to diagram) I added a few notes on winterizing with antifreeze.

I want to be sure that I completley understand the procedure, hopefully others can gain from it & also ensure it's being done the right way.

It can get cold here in the Northeast, making sure she's protected over the winter and ready for next summer is important to me.

Take a look at the pic. & feel free to add any notes.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	787 engine. Antifreeze winterizing.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	153281  

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Place the ski perfrectly level. Remove the "out" upper hose facing the rear of the ski, and pour in anti-freeze slowly until it starts coming out the exhaust outlet. It will take less than a pint.

Do this after you fog the engine. Pull the spark plugs out and fog from the top too. Leave the plugs out all winter to allow ventilation in the engine. Also leave the seat popped, and try to store it in the shade where direct sunlight won't hit it in the morning.

+1
    Rob, so no need to pinch hose's at first and later take them off?

Does the ski need to be started after you pour the antifreeze?

Whats the best antifreeze to use?

So, in a nut shell, you're not keeping the engine full of antifreeze all winter, you're simply pouring it in and allowing it to drain out?

Thanks Rob.

Yes, no need to pinch hoses. The only need for antifreeze is to get what little bit if water stays puddled in the top of the cases, right below the cylinder drain elbows that face the pipe.

No need to start the ski, once it's there, and runs out the exhaust, you are good.

Anti-freeze selection doesn't matter, whatever is your preference.

No, not full at all of antifreeze at all. Like I said, you want it to mix with what little water is trapped at the bottom of the cylinders. That's it...

+1
    Thanks Rob .

I'm dreading the whole winterizing process. Replacing my jetski with a snow blower is never fun - maybe I should buy a snow mobile .

+1
    Rob, I'm curious now - why do they say to pinch the hose's anyway?

Because they want to make sure the solution runs into the engine, and not out of the pump. If you disconnect the top hose, and physically pour it in, then there is no need to pinch anything.

95spi w\factory pipe/96xp Diggler's Avatar

787 Antifreeze/Winterizing Procedure

Yepp thats how ive always done it, disconnect from the pump and pour in... hope I get one more ride or 2 here in the good old mid west Michigan. ""Its always summer on the inside"" inside a good O'niel wetsuit that is

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    Yepp thats how ive always done it, disconnect from the pump and pour in... hope I get one more ride or 2 here in the good old mid west Michigan. ""Its always summer on the inside"" inside a good O'niel wetsuit that is
    Nope, you need to disconnect the upper "out" hose. If you pour it in the pump line, it goes accross the domes and into the pipe, and never makes it down the cylinders where it needs to be.

When you pour it into the out line, the indicator is antifreeze dribbling out the exhaust thru-hull fitting. You then know the cylinders are covered, as the antifreeze came out of the cylinder drains in the back.

This is my winterizing procedure. After tracing the water routing though the engine this is the easiest procedure, and what makes the most sense. Some use a pump and circulate it through the pipe and waterbox, the pipe is self-draining and what's left in the bottom of the waterbox will doo no damage.

I haven't winterized my `96HX or my boat yet, but the guy at the boat shop gave me a good idea. He said to mix up antifreeze and pour it in a garden hose hooked to your motor flusher (ie. the "ears" for a boat). The same might work well for a seadoo. If you hook a hose up to the flusher intake and pour antifreeze in while the motors running, it will circulate through the entire engine. Does this sound right? It seems like an awesome way to do it on a sterndrive boat cause I won't have to take any hoses loose. Doing it on a seadoo, if it would work, seems like an easy way too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information