Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Triton LXT Trailer - Correct assembly of suspension?

Guys,

Have a question about my trailer. It is a Triton LXT Watercraft trailer, but since day one I noticed that it is quite loud when driving it around and the road is not smooth perfect. Today I was cleaning up everything and thought of looking at how the single axle slipper suspension is assembled. I noticed that the sping is going below the bolt (see attached pics). Could this be the reason for being it loud? Also, should the spring go above the bolt (so that it is encased between the frame and the bolt and not floating around?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks...

M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0476.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	598.4 KB 
ID:	153407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	153408  

+1
    Spring goes above the bolt. Also spread some marine grease on the parts the touch and 'slip".

Someone needs to lose their job at Triton for missing something so simple.

+1
    Someone needs to lose their job at Triton for missing something so simple.
    the trailers are not assembled from Triton the reginal distributor may assemble but most of the time it is up to the dealer to install the axle

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    the trailers are not assembled from Triton the reginal distributor may assemble but most of the time it is up to the dealer to install the axle
    Well I guess someone at either the distributor or the dealer is a doosh nozzle then.

[quote=Birkoff;1228818]Guys,

Have a question about my trailer. It is a Triton LXT Watercraft trailer, but since day one I noticed that it is quite loud when driving it around and the road is not smooth perfect. Today I was cleaning up everything and thought of looking at how the single axle slipper suspension is assembled. I noticed that the sping is going below the bolt (see attached pics). Could this be the reason for being it loud? Also, should the spring go above the bolt (so that it is encased between the frame and the bolt and not floating around?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks...
    Just checked mine, Its the same, its to keep the spring from rubbing on the frame, if you look closely, you can see one side of the bolt is ground flat, you couldnt fit the bolt over the spring if you wanted to, not enough clearance.

Thanks guys for the feedback! Daveski, is your triler quiet qhile driving it around? I will test by putting wd40 in it to see if the noise improves. Also, how do you "anchor" your ski to the trailer?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkoff View Post
    ...is your trailer quiet while driving it around?

I will test by putting wd40 in it to see if the noise improves.

Also, how do you "anchor" your ski to the trailer?
    The leaf spring assembly looks correct to me.

Leaf springs on the base model trailers are much noisier than the torsion axle system on the Elite model.

I had an LXT single Triton, and it was noisy, especially compared to my torsion axle Triton. The noise mostly comes from the leaf end rattling up-down in the aluminum 'cage' as the axle bounces along over the road.

You could try inserting some sort of rubber snubber under the leaf at the rear, to press the spring against the bolt.

Another option may be to find a plastic sleeve for that bolt, so the leaf spring isn't directly rubbing metal to metal.

I doubt that WD-40 is going to make it quieter. A heavy grease between the contact surfaces might help, but it is likely to be messy, and need frequent re-greasing.

In terms of holding the ski to the trailer;
    The front bow strap should go under the roller, and the roller should be adjusted to contact the hull above the bow eye, but under the rub rail lip.

The idea is that the strap not only pulls the ski forward, it also holds the ski down to the trailer. In the event of hard braking or a collision, you want to know the ski will stay on the trailer, and not try to climb onto your roof.

The rear of the ski should be strapped down to an anchor loop on each side of the rear of the trailer. There should be welded loops there for just that purpose.

I use two separate ratchet type straps, each running from a trailer anchor up to the the tow hook on the rear of the ski.

On some hulls, there are small 'tie down' loops on the rear of the hull. On some hulls, these develop cracks in the hull over time. I prefer using the tow hook on my own skis.

In addition to the front winch strap, it is a good idea to add a separate safety chain or strap. It should also hook into the bow eye, and down to the trailer frame or post. The idea is if the winch latch releases, or the strap fails, the ski won't be able to bounce off the trailer.

I installed a self-retracting boat trailer 'transom strap' on my winch post. It reels away when I am ready to launch, and is easy to hook on and snug down when I am ready to leave the launch area.

Wow! Thanks a lot for all the details! Helps a lot. I was thinking on putting some rubber inserts in there to lower the noise... guess I have a project for the coming week.

On the tie down, I have a 2009 Wake Pro 215 which comes with 2 "tie downs" in the back of the ski. And my main concern for asking this was about cracks in the hull because of the pressure put into this. So I guess it is not recommended using those for tying the ski down. I'll have to figure other way to tie it down.

Thanks again for all the great detailed feedback!

I agree with what k447 said, also just snug the rear straps, dont ratchet them super tight.

+1
    That is odd that the spring on these goes below the bolt.

My ATV trailer has the same setup and I double checked the assembly manual, spring over bolt. Flat on bolt facing up so spring rides on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information