Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1

MSX Hull Weak Point

As most of you know I been chasing a water leak in Casper the Matrix for some time now. Yes he was taking on water from worn out drive shaft seals in the support bearing housing- but water continued to somehow get in the hull running or not, the rate was much faster while running. This weekend after filling water into the hull with the nose high and finding the level in which water would leak out of the tunnel I found out the tunnel had developed a hair line crack in the epoxy that Polaris used to bond the metal casting tunnel to the fiberglass hull
    After draining out the water I grabbed the housing and put a little up and down pressure and could see water squeezing in and out from the small crack

So will it start to happen in other MSX's as the hours increase? or could it be Casper the Matrix as conversion GPR hulls and what I have been hearing about the RXT, P ..X's tunnels failing with the high horse power?

But if I had a MSX I'd be looking for a Hairline crack on each side of the epoxy within where the housing mates with the hull after each ride

I'll let the group with the know tell all what they think should be done - heck most of you are just starting the winter, I've been told a simple fiberglass build up would be the ticket

As of last night Casper went on a little trip up North to a expert to evaluate and repair

In the pictures the housing,
    The starboard, or right side in which the crack starts about in line with the housing mount for about 3" at this time - can't be seen in the picture
    The Port side where a small piece of epoxy has fallen out of the crack on that side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	549.6 KB 
ID:	153504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	533.0 KB 
ID:	153505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	153506  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will be interested to see how to repair is done. Remove and re-seal, or repair in place?

When it stops raining around here, I will be having a look at my own MSX 140 tunnel casting where it seals to the hull.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Interesting,I'll have to check mine out. So that piece that mates the hull is a metal and not composite?Never really looked close. Right now I'm in michigan with a overloaded U-Haul trailer behind a too small of Ford Splash looking at a 500 mile ride,Hope I don't find any big hills to go up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Interesting,I'll have to check mine out. So that piece that mates the hull is a metal and not composite?
    I was told it is aluminum cast

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    That is what it looks like,Personally that seems to be trouble waiting to happen,Alum hates to (glue) adhere to anything,But a good glass wrap should seal it permently. So does this look like the Clamptons rig?......It has a Snow Plow for the big truck in there.......I'll explain what that's for on the phone Pirate sometime,,,,,,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	153712  

+1
    Pick 'em up yesterday, here's a shot of the repair -and you know I'll be cleanup this dusty mess thats all over the inside of the hull

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you know what was done to effect the repair?

Was the aluminum casting removed, or repaired without removal?

Anything done on the tunnel side of things?

Did the repair affect pump to engine alignment?

+1
    Now would be a good time to check mine also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Do you know what was done to effect the repair?

Was the aluminum casting removed, or repaired without removal?

Anything done on the tunnel side of things?

Did the repair affect pump to engine alignment?
    I have a message out to find out

+1
    So the never ending story goes on ...but soon will end
    As I posted before I took Casper up to a recommended fiberglass repair shop that did work on Sea Doo X model tunnels, Oh well didn't go too great for me and was a painful job for Casper. I was told the bonding material in the above pics was the best - but the outcome was this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4762988788_92344f6f21_z.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	221413

Lucky for me I went up to Nor Cal to meet up with Al and Kevin for the 4th of July weekend on a fresh water lake - thank the Polaris Gods I did as if in the Ocean Casper would be a mess - 7 mins into the ride the repair gave way and between Al's son and me got the boat on the lake shore. Al and Kevin came to the rescue with Al ski boat and 3 person raft for a tow back to the ramp. Al got a look at the repair and I think almost passed out, he thought it went to the shop he recommended and had no doubt the job had been done correct - I took it to a different place ... he fixed and cleaned up Casper, got him running in top shape so all-in-all the boat got detailed up real nice mechanically!

Today I finally got the chance to take the boat down to the repair place recommended by all - and at the same time will get Casper's top deck and bottom back up to showroom clean

here's some shots of what went wrong from the start -

the new break of the repair - the support tunnel completely broke free from the bottom of the hull. When the 'fix' was done they grinded away all the epoxy around the support that Polaris had used without removing it completely, making it so easy now for the pressure to rip the base from the hull

Name:	4778708901_043be04d84_z.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	221417

The main reason the tunnel gave way was that Polaris never prepped the hull to give a good bonding surface - AND DID NOT USE ENOUGH EPOXY , leaving a huge open area for tunnel pressure and water to get into as in the below pic. Great employee follow-up by Polaris with the person that was assigned to this important task - did they just run out of glue or is this how they did it?
    you can see the brown of the epoxy but none visible is the area below the ski's shaft hole(remember the white is the bs repair stuff)

Name:	5190694977_53917cd2dc_b.jpg 
Views:	4332 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	221421

and the support itself - bet you never seen one before kids!

Name:	5191291468_83093a46b4_b.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	221423

Name:	5191292068_71c66efa20_b.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	221422

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information