Post seadoo rx problem help

hi got a problem with the oil on my seadoo rx. it takes about 1 litre in like 45 minutes. does anyone know where the oil injection pump and how to adjust it. should it be 50.1 fuel to oil
    thanks

I don't know if it is the same on an RX but on some Seadoos if the part of the throttle cable that go's to the oil pump has snapped then the oil pump will go to permanent wide open therefore using loads of oil. Perhaps you may want to check this first.

+1
    Definitely check that oil pump cable to make sure that it is not broken. This is not common, but it does happen. As BB said, the oil pump defaults to full flow if the cable is broken.

Also, how is this happening? Are you filling the tank all the way up and then discovering that it is low? I ask because those tanks are prone to leak and the RX hull has a tendancy to hold a lot of liquid right under the engine no matter how high you get the bow.

The other question is whether or not it is a DI. The DI has a couple extra places that it can leak injection oil that would also end up under the engine so unless you were looking for them you would not see it.

You may want to tilt the boat up and put some water in at the front to flush out under the engine. If you get a load of oil out from under there you have a leak.

When i go out on the jet ski for maybe 45 minutes it will use about 1 litre, the oil low warning light comes on. Yes it is just a seadoo rx 2001
    i'm just about to go and have a look now thankyou for the help
    any more ideas people??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by willdj View Post
    When i go out on the jet ski for maybe 45 minutes it will use about 1 litre, the oil low warning light comes on. Yes it is just a seadoo rx 2001
    i'm just about to go and have a look now thankyou for the help
    any more ideas people??
    What I am getting at is how do are you determining how much it is using. Are you adding a litre (pretty much a quart-I gotta convert it) when the low oil light is on and then running it.

The tank can not be full since that sucker holds over a gallon and a half of oil (6L, if you will). Even at WOT (where the pump would be also full open and pumping at its maximum rate) for 45 minutes straight (which would require a full tank of gas and a long stretch of smooth-ish water) you are not going to run a gallon of oil through the engine.

The thing is, that oil light can come on early depending on the conditions. With the shape of the tank it ensures that there is oil available (if it is in the tank) but that shape can also fool the sensor.

Just how much it should use is a bit hard to pin down because it really does depend on how you are riding it and if the oil pump is indexed correctly.

In fact, you will want to check that too. There is a mark on the lever and a mark on the pump body. If these do not line up at idle then it may also run the pump full on. On that year model changing the idle DOES NOT change the oil pump index, but cables stretch a bit over time and such. Or, someone worked on it and did not set it right (who knows) so you will want to check it. You will need a mirror and a flashlight.

Thread Information