Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Carbon seal problems? Sunk or close call...

Just wondering how many people have had issues with the carbon seal and have nearly sunk or sunk their ski because of it.

Mine didn't sink but even after a new carbon seal, collar, boot, and driveshaft with a properly aligned engine, I was getting quite a bit of water in the ski. It was sprayed over the back section of the ski. Not to mention it was cavitating at holeshot.

+1

Gus....I had mine fail at 130+ hours with no warning. I had never seen a drop of water previously. There was no definitive cause. Everything was intact and tight yet the water found it way through the shaft seal. I polished things up with 2K grit paper and put it all back together and ran it another 20 hours and not a drop. I am going to the rad 4 seal dispite the issue out on the forum currently..The rad 4 requires more attentive maintainance..like greasing at the end of your day to push out any water that might have found it way into the seal assembly. I have no problem with that extra effort. I will post pictures in the future of the installation.

im just trying to understand the thinking going into this.......you had a carbon ring which requires NO maintenance go bad after 130+ hours of use and want to change over to something that you have to maintain and watch EVERY time you ride? why? im not being a d*ck, just trying to understand?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    I can't believe you are going there..The % of failures has to be less than .001.
    Yeah, I really am going there. Why not? I had issues with my carbon seal spraying water all inside my hull before even turning higher RPM and I am just curious.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Yeah, I really am going there. Why not? I had issues with mine before turning higher RPM and I am just curious.
    I was just thinking there are so many variables. How many times the guys that mod skis are pulling driveshafts and not replacing the C-clips. And reinstalling motors without allignment etc...Also I think the service schedule calls for a 100 hour inspection of the carbon seal.

Gus, we realize you have a vested interest in the rad4 seal. I know that the product got raked over the coals in the other thread, but why try to stir up more heat on the issue?

+1
    I have owned an XP, a N/A 4Tec, 4 RXP's and 1 RXPX. Between all of my skis, I estimate I have close to 1000 hours of run time. I had a C-clip come off on one of my skis causing it to sink. But I later determined that this was because the engine was not alligned properly after I removed it to send off for modification. I also sunk the same ski after trying out a bearing carrier. I went back to a carbon seal and never sank it, or any of my other skis again. I have not tried any of the recent bearing carrier set ups, so I cannot comment on them. But with some little tricks (i.e. zip ties), I think the carbon seal set up works just fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RATMAN View Post
    Gus....I had mine fail at 130+ hours with no warning. I had never seen a drop of water previously. There was no definitive cause. Everything was intact and tight yet the water found it way through the shaft seal. I polished things up with 2K grit paper and put it all back together and ran it another 20 hours and not a drop. I am going to the rad 4 seal dispite the issue out on the forum currently..The rad 4 requires more attentive maintainance..like greasing at the end of your day to push out any water that might have found it way into the seal assembly. I have no problem with that extra effort. I will post pictures in the future of the installation.
    So I gotta know...Did you check the Carbon seal out @ any point ? If not I am confused how you dont mind doing it on the RAD4 but you do on the OEM set up.

+1
    Mine didn't sink but even after a new carbon seal, collar, boot, and driveshaft with a properly aligned engine, I was getting quite a bit of water in the ski. It was sprayed over the back section of the ski. Not to mention it was cavitating at holeshot.

My carbon seal now that it is installed properly has no issues and holeshot on my ski is sick!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information