Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Overfilled my Oil. Made a mess.

After doing my 10hr service, I overfilled my oil. The Dip stick is hard to read and I put 3l in instead of 2.3l (or whatever the correct number is).

This weekend the oil warning light came on and I shut it off. The Air filter was coated and the crank case was empty. I am guessing the clogged filter created a suction and pulled up the oil out of the crank case.

There was also oil going into the intake. I could see that the honeycomb aresters on each of the 4 intakes had an oil coating.

I am going to pick up new oil tonight so I can fill it backup and flush the salt water out. I will change out the plugs and order a Riva air filter. The motor was running fine when I shut it off so I am hopefully doubting I did any damage.

Question:

Since the intake is oily, Can I spray some carb cleaner into the intakes to clean them out?

+1
    Wow sounds like alot of stuff for .7l too much. How did you come to the conclusion the oil filter was clogged up and caused all this? How did the oil coat the filter? Hope too much oil was your problem!

+1
    I mean Air filter. I edited my post. I didn't catch that until you posted. It was black and dripping wet with oil.

What's this for again?
    I don't know about these engines specifically, but when related to cars, you don't want to use carb cleaner on a throttle body. I guess the carb cleaner is pretty harsh and can casue sensor problems and/or damage the finish of the aluminium on the throttle body itself. If you remove the intake pipe, you may be able to use it there, but use a throttle body specific cleaner on the the throttle body. Good luck!

+1
    If possible I would try and remove the intake, and use throttle body cleaner as someone else suggested. Carb cleaner is some nasty shit. Then just run the piss out of it. It will eventually clear the cylinders and valvetrain.

+1
    also in teh future, a good rule of thumb is to put back what you took out. be sure to clean out the air filter box good to before puttingteh new air filter in, and you may have oil blown out on other items, clean well....

+1
    I am thinking this was introduced into the engine through the crank case breather hose?

I am also thinking this is yet another reason for a catch can?

+1
    I got the chance to fill the oil up tonight and run it on the hose to flush out the salt. With the engine cover off while running, I noticed what looks like steam (I don't think its oil) coming out from under the TB’s. I could not tell exactly where it was comming from. I tend not to think this occurs during normal operation. It seems to run normal otherwise on the hose.

Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be something simple, or more serious like a head gasket? Are there any mechanics local to Tampa on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    I got the chance to fill the oil up tonight and run it on the hose to flush out the salt. With the engine cover off while running, I noticed what looks like steam (I don't think its oil) coming out from under the TB’s. I could not tell exactly where it was comming from. I tend not to think this occurs during normal operation. It seems to run normal otherwise on the hose.

Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be something simple, or more serious like a head gasket? Are there any mechanics local to Tampa on the board?
    The following is based upon typcial automotive 4 cycle engines and what you described, Some thoughts:

1. MAF cleaner will work very well - any auto parts store.

2. Drastic over filling typically raises the loil level to a point were it is hit by the crankshaft. This creates what is called windage, the hp should drop off considerably.

3. The oil is also thrown around inside the lower engine cavity (crankcase), at some point the excess oil is going to be pushed out and that is thru the EGR system, this will overload that route and end up in the intake track. When that happens the engine will misfire.

4. The most serious issue is that the oil foams or aerates, this can cause premature failure of the crankshaft bearings. This should be your biggest worry. This would only happen under high load and rpm.

5. The last issue is why the oil is now so low. Typically you would blow out some oil and the level would be restored to a normal level. In this case the engine design must not have as much egress to the intake area. My guess would be you blew out a gasket that maintains the oil level. probably the oilpan gasket. This is a quasi dry system, so there may be other susceptible gaskets in the lower engine.

Let us know the results of what you find.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post

take it to JIM PERFORMANCE
    36258 US 19 N. PALM HARBOR, FL 34684
    BUSINESS # (727)786-1177 CELL # (727)365-5132

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information