Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garage Space

+1

Garage Space

If your garage is getting to crowded and you have a 12' ceiling try raising some of your toys. 2000lb.winches at Harbor Freight are only $49. I was going to do my motorcycle but I decided my mower takes up more room so I raised it. So nice being able to walk around without tripping over the mower. Now my wife can even park her car under it. Ya right! A car in my garage...lol Not going to happen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0689.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	153654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0691.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	153655  

+1
    Nice work! If I did that in my garage, I would need to be about two foot tall! Lee

NICE!! Sure would hate to see that come down.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveski View Post
    ...Sure would hate to see that come down.
    You may want to consider hanging some sturdy chains down from the ceiling to the four corners.

Raise it up, hook the chains onto the four corners, then lower it until the chains take the load. That way, if the winch or cables has a problem, the platform doesn't drop unexpectedly.

When you want it down, raise it a couple of inches, unhook the chains from the four corners of the platform, then let it down.

Harbor Freight gear may be inexpensive, but I wouldn't want to be trusting it under load 24x7

+1
    I have a big anchor bolt that I thread into the brick wall just above the winch. I screw in the bolt then lower the mower a couple inches to take the load off. The mower ways about 300 LBS. Everything I used is rated for 2000 or more pounds. Trust me I over built this thing knowing I was going to be working under it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0694.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	153664  

+1
    I just cant imagine having to call my car insurance company and tell them theres a lawn mower through the roof of my car...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoovermaneuver View Post
    I have a big anchor bolt that I thread into the brick wall just above the winch. I screw in the bolt then lower the mower a couple inches to take the load off.

The mower ways about 300 LBS.

Everything I used is rated for 2000 or more pounds. Trust me I over built this thing knowing I was going to be working under it.

The way it is now, if any of the multiple support points fails, the platform could tip and possibly drop the load. The anchors into the ceiling, the anchors into the platform, the roller blocks, the multiple wire end loops...

The wall bolt protects against a winch failure, but not failures elsewhere.

That is why I suggested four separate chains, with separate attachment points into the ceiling and the platform. Then any single failure point (in either the primary or backup supports) would still not drop the load.

I am not suggesting that is is not heavily built. I am cautioning about Murphy's Law. It is just safer to have a system that can handle any single item failing, and not drop the load.

BTW, do you have some form of wheel chocks to prevent the mower from rolling forward/backward?

I like the idea, and have done something similar in my own garage (smaller scale).

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    What are the fasteners connected to in the ceiling? Is that a conventional truss system?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    What are the fasteners connected to in the ceiling? Is that a conventional truss system?
    I nailed 3 2X4'S together and set them on top ( I didn't nail them between the rafters, I laid them on top) of 2 rafters and toe nailed them in place at the 4 locations. I could have used a 4x4 but I had 2x4's laying around.Then I drilled through and used a long bolt, not a lag screw.
    Remember guys the mower only ways about 300 pounds. Divided by 4 pullies that's nothing. I weigh 265 and got on it with the mower and jumped up and down at each corner.
    I have the brakes set on the mower. I have been planning on screwing a 2x4 in the front just in case.

The way it is now, if any of the multiple support points fails, the platform could tip and possibly drop the load. The anchors into the ceiling, the anchors into the platform, the roller blocks, the multiple wire end loops...

An airplane could also crash through my ceiling while I sleep and kill me. I am more than willing to bet my life that any of these 2000 lb. rated items will not fail holding up 300 to 400 pounds.
    If my wife gets on here in the next year and tells you guys that I am dead because my mower fell on me, you will know what she is talking about. Feel free to laugh and make jokes about it. I'm sure I will be, where ever I am at.

+1
    Not that it matters much at this point, but that JD weighs bit more than 300lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information