Smile HElP please 1200 carb model

I am working on carbed model 2000 1200 that has intermittant spark on center cylinder and will not fire under load,does the limp feature disable only one cylinder.I changed out cdi unit and center cylinder has good spark again.I used its twin to check it.Is it possible that stator or something along those lines are marginal which caused cdi to go bad?OR are 1200 known for cdi problems,I dont want to put in new cdi without hearing from some of you polaris GURUS thanks in advance >Marvin

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The limp mode just drops the Rev limiter on all cyls. If all is good with the other CDI,I'd say that is it. Just make sure you get the right replacement one. The PVL II CDI (Red/Brown Potting)sometimes won't run with PVLIII Stator. That's why Polaris went to only selling a complete Stator upgrade kit that included the CDI,Stator and coil pack I beleve.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    I am working on carbed model 2000 1200 that has intermittent spark on center cylinder and will not fire under load,does the limp feature disable only one cylinder.

I changed out cdi unit and center cylinder has good spark again. I used its twin to check it.

Is it possible that stator or something along those lines are marginal which caused cdi to go bad?OR are 1200 known for cdi problems,

I don't want to put in new cdi without hearing from some of you Polaris GURUS thanks in advance >Marvin
    Limp mode affects all cylinders at the same time.

All Polaris carb'ed 1200 motors use the GEN III ignition system, even the 1999 Genesis.

(Actually, I am not 100% sure about the CDI/stator used in the 1999 X-45/SLTX-B model, but I am too lazy to check that in the parts look-up tonight).

Any 1200 CDI can be used, but there are minor differences in the ignition curves. I think only 1 or 2 of the various 1200 CDI part numbers are still available. There was a thread discussing this a while back.

It is certainly possible for a stator to go bad, but if swapping in another CDI fixes the problem, then the CDI would seem to be the most likely repair.

Smile

IS it possible for weak battery to cause cdi malfunction say only 12.1 volts instead of the normal 12.5 to 13.9 when running?thanks much for advice and clearing up limp mode for me>Marvin

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    IS it possible for weak battery to cause cdi malfunction say only 12.1 volts instead of the normal 12.5 to 13.9 when running?thanks much for advice and clearing up limp mode for me>Marvin
    Well, if the battery isn't charging (sub 13.5 volts with engine running), then the LR voltage regulator may be going bad.

Have you done the diagnostics for a non-charging (low) battery voltage?
    Stator ohms correct, no short to ground from Yellow stator wire, battery voltage on Yellow wire with engine off?
    LR module ground is zero ohms to battery negative?

If the CDI is powered by the Orange wire from the LR module (which it normally should be), and the LR module is not 100% good, then the CDI may not be getting clean power through the LR module.

If you have a bilge pump, it is powered by that same Orange wire. If the pump was failing, and causing electrical noise, that could affect the CDI.

Hold down the bilge button (first confirm that the button works, and bilge pump runs), and see if the CDI works better. Disconnect the bilge pump too, see if that helps.

Next move the CDI Red/Purple wire to join all the other Red/Purple wires. That bypasses the LR module Orange output, and powers the CDI directly from the main battery feed.

Is the MFD working properly, including RPM display?

Sometimes a bad MFD can cause weird effects with the CDI. Unplug the MFD from behind the display, and see if it makes any difference.

Thread Information