Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Angry Professional T-X Tunnel Repair has FAILED - AGAIN!!!

My professionally repaired T-X tunnel has failed AGAIN! Some history – After 5 hours on basically stock 08 T-X, April 2009, noticed stress cracks in the tunnel, dealer had professionally repaired in June. The entire water side was sanded down until the cracks were gone, re-fiberglass, re-gel coat. The inside of hull tunnel area has several layers of fiberglass around tunnel for reinforcement.

What was NOT done - the void area between layers with foam was left alone. I don’t think anyone knew it was a large as it is back then! Second, the inner hull fiberglass did not go AFT enough, in my opinion.

I checked the tunnel today and found a large 7” stress crack on the left side up near the shaft. This crack is really several morphed together with a chunk out of the gel coat. A second stress crack is on the right side, lower down the side of the tunnel with a chunk out of it also.

So I did what others are doing now – I gave the tunnel a lobotomy with a 3”cutoff wheel / die grinder. After I cut the 4”x4” cap off the top of the tunnel, WATER oozed out of the foam!!!! Note the small metal plate for the VTS / IC mount imbedded into the foam. I dug out the foam very easily and put a work light over the tunnel. I went underneath the ski and could SEE THE LGHT through the crack on the left side – all 7 inches of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pictures show the right side crack, die grinder and 3” cut off wheel, 1st fiberglass repair, plate in the foam, 7” crack with chunk allows light through, and foam pile with 4’x4” top cap and metal plate under cap.

For those of you using a hole saw to cut the hole – realize this plate is there. I’ll post pics of the big void tomorrow.

I just hope filling the void with resin & epoxy will finally beef this up enough. Going to have to repair the water side again, and add more fiberglass inside further aft. What are we going to have to do, rip it all out and replace it with a stainless steel tunnel???????

08 T-X only 29 hours of run time - nothing but ass pain. 2005 GTX-SC 115 hours - not a single problem or issue.

I’m really disappointed with this poor design flaw and SeaDoo’s lack of support. Done for the season – early!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX Tunnel 001.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	153816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX Tunnel 018.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	153817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX Tunnel 019.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	153818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX Tunnel 021.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	153819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX Tunnel 025.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	153820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX Tunnel 026.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	153821  

+1
    JT....it is recommended you use West Marine (WM) epoxy resin (105), hardener (209), and micro balloons as the repair mixture; simply follow their (WM) instructions for mixture ratios.

+1
    Dude, sorry to see that.

I dont understand why some T -X hulls keep having worse issues then others even after being fixed.
    The T-X has only the slight hairline cracks like the RXP but never an issue with 63 hours.
    You have had terrible luck along with STS.

+1
    This sucks for sure. Are you planning on pulling the pumpshoe, too? I think in that one picture I see a stress crack outlining the pumpshoe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    This sucks for sure. Are you planning on pulling the pumpshoe, too? I think in that one picture I see a stress crack outlining the pumpshoe.
    +1

JPT i would yank the shoe off as well. Someone else just found this same thing with his RXT-X hull

+1
    Only way i see how to fix this problem is to cut out the whole outer layer and the foam and start glassin and maybe even some kevlar...

+1

Angry disgusted

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    +1

JPT i would yank the shoe off as well. Someone else just found this same thing with his RXT-X hull
    YEP, STSPerformance (Steve) discovered a leaker.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Only way i see how to fix this problem is to cut out the whole outer layer and the foam and start glassin and maybe even some kevlar...
    I really think the entire tunnel needs to be cut out and remove the double layer and build one thick strong tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Most likely.

I will post pictures of the void tomorrow. The 7" crack IS in the void area, but the other side is way down the right side were the two layers touch. I just don't see how epoxy can get to it. WTF!!!!

I plan on going to the company that repaired it the first time and showing him the void he didn't know about and formulate a plan. The drama continues.........

But this time it will be good for sure becouse you the one who's doing the work!
    Keep us posted what's happening, take some pictures.
    Could you post a picture of the waterside?

Thanks
    Pete

repair

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    My professionally repaired T-X tunnel has failed AGAIN! Some history – After 5 hours on basically stock 08 T-X, April 2009, noticed stress cracks in the tunnel, dealer had professionally repaired in June. The entire water side was sanded down until the cracks were gone, re-fiberglass, re-gel coat. The inside of hull tunnel area has several layers of fiberglass around tunnel for reinforcement.

What was NOT done - the void area between layers with foam was left alone. I don’t think anyone knew it was a large as it is back then! Second, the inner hull fiberglass did not go AFT enough, in my opinion.

I checked the tunnel today and found a large 7” stress crack on the left side up near the shaft. This crack is really several morphed together with a chunk out of the gel coat. A second stress crack is on the right side, lower down the side of the tunnel with a chunk out of it also.

So I did what others are doing now – I gave the tunnel a lobotomy with a 3”cutoff wheel / die grinder. After I cut the 4”x4” cap off the top of the tunnel, WATER oozed out of the foam!!!! Note the small metal plate for the VTS / IC mount imbedded into the foam. I dug out the foam very easily and put a work light over the tunnel. I went underneath the ski and could SEE THE LGHT through the crack on the left side – all 7 inches of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pictures show the right side crack, die grinder and 3” cut off wheel, 1st fiberglass repair, plate in the foam, 7” crack with chunk allows light through, and foam pile with 4’x4” top cap and metal plate under cap.

For those of you using a hole saw to cut the hole – realize this plate is there. I’ll post pics of the big void tomorrow.

I just hope filling the void with resin & epoxy will finally beef this up enough. Going to have to repair the water side again, and add more fiberglass inside further aft. What are we going to have to do, rip it all out and replace it with a stainless steel tunnel???????

08 T-X only 29 hours of run time - nothing but ass pain. 2005 GTX-SC 115 hours - not a single problem or issue.

I’m really disappointed with this poor design flaw and SeaDoo’s lack of support. Done for the season – early!
    If that work damaged again we need see not was professional.
    Anybody think if tunnel just damage, possible repair easy. NOT POSSIBLE !!
    Repair minimum 2-3 days hard work, and need rebuild all again. But this is a job, so who say I CAN repair he need know HOW. I think this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pet View Post
    But this time it will be good for sure becouse you the one who's doing the work!
    Keep us posted what's happening, take some pictures.
    Could you post a picture of the waterside?

Thanks
    Pete
    Pete, hope your repair goes well. Keep in mind, my water side has already been completely sanded, re-fiberglassed, re-gel coated once.

The first picture is the crack on the right side, note the pump shoe.
    The 5th picture, crack is high near the shaft where the shaft enters the hull area, in the void area.

What specifically are you looking for on the water side so I can help you?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information