Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

04 RXP dropping valves ???

Has anyone ever had a problem with valves dropping on the 04 after a higher boost charger has been added ? I have been told the 04 and some 05 had weaker valves.I got this info from I thinks the companies name was Power performace Group.They said I sould replace the head before I install the x-charger.I would like to hear you guys experiences with a 04 with an x-charger.

Oh man! The 04 drops valves???

+1
    Type of supercharger has nothing to do with dropping valves.

The 04-05 exhaust valves are known to be weak and break off. Adding an X charger isn't going to make them break sooner.

There is no reason to replace your head. Just replace the valves with a set of 06 or newer valves or a set of Ferrea valves.

When you do replace your supercharger with an X charger be sure do deliver additional fuel depending on your level of modifications. If near stock when using the stock intercooler you can get by with just adding 42 lb injectors. If you have more extensive mods with an external intercooler you will also need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

So should I just go for it and put the x-charger,42's and a prop and go for it,or should I pull the head and replace the valves.I really don't want to remove the head.If I have to do that I will probably just keep it stock.The reason they said the 04 dropped valves from the boost increase is from the increase in temp.For what it is worth my ski has 115 hours.

corrosion may have something to do with it.

If your timing is right, you can get a 06+ head at a good price then sell your head. Weve looked into it and it ends up being cheaper than changing the valves based on everything you have to buy to do the job.

If you want the performance, the ferrera valves are a proven lightweight valve and Jerry sells them in his store.

gl.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvan
    So should I just go for it and put the x-charger,42's and a prop and go for it,or should I pull the head and replace the valves.I really don't want to remove the head.
    It's a gamble. I have seen 04 valves go over 200 hours and never have a problem while i have seen others fail in less than 100 hours. I personally wouldn't pull the head just to replace valves. Later down the road if you have the head off then at that time replace the valves.

Whatever you decide to do if you put a used 06 or newer head on your ski do yourself a favor and spend a few extra dollars and have a valve job done on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    It's a gamble. I have seen 04 valves go over 200 hours and ................
    231 hours Raced and Abused in Salt Water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1841.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	715.7 KB 
ID:	153874  

+1
    The valve problem in the 04-05 valves is not as big of a percent as we would think. I have owned about 10 04-05 boats and all well over 100 hours and never one problem.

The problem is when the boat is run on the ragged edge and the valves heat up and get week. Also when it is not propperly taken care of and the valves get rust on them and pit. this makes them week.

How many ferrea valves and 06 up valves have you heard break here lately? A few of them! Is it because they are bad or not propper care was taken to inssure there realiabilty?

/

+1
    They break for several reasons

04-05 exhaust valves are known to be weak. This is why Sea Doo upgraded them in 06

Valves break because the skis is run lean, the exhaust valves heat up and bind in the guides and snap.

They also break if someone leaves their ski sitting up for long periods and the valve stems rust in the guide and bind.

Combine these two reasons with the weaker 04-05 valves and you run into problems.

Others like Jammer and Water4fire and even myself have never had a problem with the 04-05 valves. I always was careful to monitor my air/fuel ratio and my ski never sat up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    They break for several reasons

04-05 exhaust valves are known to be weak. This is why Sea Doo upgraded them in 06

Valves break because the skis is run lean, the exhaust valves heat up and bind in the guides and snap.

They also break if someone leaves their ski sitting up for long periods and the valve stems rust in the guide and bind.

Combine these two reasons with the weaker 04-05 valves and you run into problems.

Others like Jammer and Water4fire and even myself have never had a problem with the 04-05 valves. I always was careful to monitor my air/fuel ratio and my ski never sat up.
    I think one of the most important things is to make sure you blow all the water out of the exhaust before letting them sit. This will make it less likely for corrosion to occur.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information