Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Winterize - Local marina says antifreeze in yamahas is not necessary

I know the majority of f
    olks on here are from warmer climates but some of us r from the hills.

My local marina in WV told me they dont do it and it is not necessary to run antifreeze though
    yamaha pwcs. They said seadoos are the only pwcs which need the antifreeze.

It makes sense since most of the water is removed when ran outisde of water. Run it tipped up, tipped down. Maybe take the waterbox out and put some antifreeze in that and i think it should be good.

Now the reason I ask is because i plan to run mine fairly late into the fall. I dont want to run antifreeze through it everytime i pull the pwc out.

If there isnt enough water in the engine to expand against the walls of the water passages it shouldnt crack, right?

+1
    Originally that is right about sea doo's. But I would put anti freeze into any ski when I winterize it. You'll never be able to get all the water out and just to be on the safe side. If you ride into late fall you should be ok without winterizing but If temperature start falling below freezing thats when you should.

+1
    Thats what i was thinking for a piece of mind. i think it is odd that they steered me away from it. One marina that is an hour away charges 150 to winterize. this marina is smaller but deals yamahas as well and they could be making alot of money with all the yamis on the river. Not that i would pay that, I would do it myself either way.

Is it necessary to winter if the engine gets pulled? or is that jus asling for a messin the hull?

+1
    If you are storing you ski in an area where it doesn't get below freezing you don't have to worry about antifreeze. But you will still have to run fuel stabilizer through the motor and fog the cylinders. If you not doing any motor work there's no reason to take the engine out for storage.

Had a ski winterized for 7 years outside, no antifreeze, no problems. Just run it a few times out of the water. Other than that some of the water will evaporate and the rest that is left doesn't matter. So what if there's water in the waterbox? It's not confined enough to cause the ice to rupture it. It'll just expand a little. Plus i'm not to fond of having to flush out the antifreeze later into a river, or my driveway where someones dog is going to lick it up.

+1
    I've never used any antifreeze on any of our SeaDoo's, and it gets pretty cold in Jersey during the winters..

Better safe then sorry It's an extra what $10 bucks and 5 minutes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaPat View Post
    Better safe then sorry It's an extra what $10 bucks and 5 minutes.
    Just never thought of it before... I will now though.

Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    Plus i'm not to fond of having to flush out the antifreeze later into a river, or my driveway where someones dog is going to lick it up.
    Thanks for mentioning that... For anyone else, The anti-freeze smells/(tastes?) sweet and dogs and cats will find it and drink it. Doesn't take much to kill them. Be careful with this stuff, if you spill it in your driveway, clean it up right away as your neighbors dog may smell it and come around for some....
    I know theres at least one brand that is different, non toxic, I think it's Sierra brand. You might try that too.

i've heard that a tabespoon amount can kill a human

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information