Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Carpe Diem! JetmechF16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas!
    Posts
    73

    RXP taking on water, need help...

    After two years of sitting in pieces in my garage, my '04 RXP is finally painted and assembled. I took it out today to do a maintenance check run and ended up hurrying to get it back on the trailer 10 minutes later.

    After backing it in to the water, I ran it on the trailer to make sure there were no leaks. Satisfied, I took it for a quick spin around the launch area. For 5 minutes it did great, sounded good, and rpms were steady. Then all of a sudden the ski started bogging down, but the throttle and rpms were still normal. I turned it off immediately, removed the seat, and heard water gushing in.

    I didn't get a good look because at that time I was worried about getting it back to the ramp and on the trailer before it sank. The engine started up and ran like nothing was happening, so I thought it was maybe an exhaust hose or something.

    After getting it on the trailer, the water was halfway up the blower. I drained it and ran the motor to pump out the brackish creekwater for a few seconds and then started inspecting hoses. I didn't find anything loose or damaged, so I brought it home and washed it down and ran it on the hose. Motor ran fine, no leaks anywhere inside the hull.

    Sooooo, any ideas? Is it my wear ring?

    Cliff Notes:

    Ski bogs down, rpms normal, ski takes on water somewhere near the back inside the hull, owner freaks out like little girl, puts ski on trailer, no leaks, motor runs fine, brings home, runs on hose, no leaks, posts on greenhulk.net to ask newb questions and beg for help. The end.


  2. #2
    GTA17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PALM BEACH, FL
    Posts
    53
    Check shaft seal (carbon ring), has to be that........SKI LOOKS GREAT!!!!

  3. #3
    AKA "The Guppy" JeffTurbo601's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    991
    sounds like its leaking past the carbon ring or leaking through your exhaust outlet

  4. #4
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Have you installed a 4" intake??

  5. #5
    Carpe Diem! JetmechF16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas!
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by GTA17 View Post
    Check shaft seal (carbon ring), has to be that........SKI LOOKS GREAT!!!!
    I've never messed with anything in the pump area, what am I looking for and where exactly am I looking? Is it aft of the rubber accordion cover. Thanks for the compliment, you can definitely tell its a garage job, but it looks good from 10' away!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffTurbo601 View Post
    sounds like its leaking past the carbon ring or leaking through your exhaust outlet
    I didn't check the exhaust outlet, but could it cause the ski to bog down so much when you hit the throttle? I don't know if a leak at the rear would cause that, please let me know if you think otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Have you installed a 4" intake??
    I just put in a 3" pvc intake, do you think that contributed in some way?

    Thanks everyone for the ideas, keep'em coming!

  6. #6
    slipnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    153
    +1
    1
    I just tore my 96 apart and thought "wear ring" and replaced it. As I was putting it back together I noticed that one of my two water exhaust "straws" (siphon tube) was missing so instead of pushing out it was sucking in. I could run maybe 20 minutes and then drain the hull. I believe this happened because one of my guests beat the shit out of the ski.....not anymore!

    Reference :http://216.37.204.203/Seadoo_OEM/Sea...=13&A=118&B=13

    Part #27

    Not saying that's it, but it is something you can check before starting on wear ring. Alot less work too . Good luck.

  7. #7
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by JetmechF16 View Post



    I just put in a 3" pvc intake, do you think that contributed in some way?
    Yes. If it is touching your carbon seal or boot in any way it will cause this. Make sure nothing is touching the seal or boot.
    Did you notice when hitting the throttle out of the hole it would cavitate? Kinda like spinning tires. The engine revs but the ski does'nt move like it should.

  8. #8
    primorxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    415
    +1
    11
    check your shaft seal mine looked in place but the E clip was gone and could hear water running in. glad you have no damage to your ski blew mine up piston siting vertical in block with a big hole in the side i guess that happens when you are running 8000 rpms and suck up water

  9. #9
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by JetmechF16 View Post
    I just put in a 3" pvc intake, do you think that contributed in some way?
    Thanks everyone for the ideas, keep'em coming!
    Yes, the intake runs very close to the carbon ring seal. If it touches the seal or the bellows in any way it can cause the seal to leak.

  10. #10
    Carpe Diem! JetmechF16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas!
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by slipnot View Post
    I just tore my 96 apart and thought "wear ring" and replaced it. As I was putting it back together I noticed that one of my two water exhaust "straws" (siphon tube) was missing so instead of pushing out it was sucking in. I could run maybe 20 minutes and then drain the hull. I believe this happened because one of my guests beat the shit out of the ski.....not anymore!

    Reference :http://216.37.204.203/Seadoo_OEM/Sea...=13&A=118&B=13

    Part #27

    Not saying that's it, but it is something you can check before starting on wear ring. Alot less work too . Good luck.
    Thanks, i'll check that out.

    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Yes. If it is touching your carbon seal or boot in any way it will cause this. Make sure nothing is touching the seal or boot.
    Did you notice when hitting the throttle out of the hole it would cavitate? Kinda like spinning tires. The engine revs but the ski does'nt move like it should.
    That is exactly what it's doing, i'll see if I can rig up a bracket to keep the intake off the boot. I would hit the throttle, but the ski wouldn't go anywhere, it was like dragging a huge anchor. Should I be able to replicate the problem on the boat ramp if I keep it on the trailer? Would that allow enough water pressure to leak or would I have to take it off the trailer? Thanks for the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by primorxp View Post
    check your shaft seal mine looked in place but the E clip was gone and could hear water running in. glad you have no damage to your ski blew mine up piston siting vertical in block with a big hole in the side i guess that happens when you are running 8000 rpms and suck up water
    Luckily no damage, the hull had about 6 inches of water in it by the time I got it on the trailer and out of the water. I took it home and rinsed everything out. I lost a motor back in '04 on my 1100 ZXI due to saltwater ingestion, definitely not something I care to do again!

    I took some pictures of the shaft/seal area, please tell me if something doesn't look right. Is there supposed to be a gap between the bellow and support ring??








Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2004 RXP Taking on water... Please Help!
    By Redspider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-22-2015, 05:07 PM
  2. 04 Rxp Taking On Water
    By CRAZEDRXP in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 06:32 AM
  3. 04 RXP taking on water, can blower be culprit?
    By JCHOUCK in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 10:20 AM
  4. does the rxp take on water easily??
    By CarFanatic in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 08:09 AM
  5. RXP-Taking on water
    By RXPDAVID in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •