Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Seals

Carbon Seals

When I first got my Rxt iS I ran it a long time on the water hose as I'm use to outboard motors and I run in salt water. Now I know that was wrong and I get a lot of water in my hull. Is there anything wrong with going back stock or should I get an aftermarket seal? I am going to do it now while it is down for other repairs.

Thanks, Ken

With all the posting lately concerning after market seals I would recommend going back to the stock carbon ring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    With all the posting lately concerning after market seals I would recommend going back to the stock carbon ring.
    I agree on this one,oem carbon seal is best for now,until there is a better solution.

+1
    Are the shafts on the 4 strokes too large to use the older 2 strokes needle bearing thru hull assys.? Instead of the accordian flimsy rubber boot, it's a ridged smooth rubber with a bearing on the end with a zerk fitting to grease.

We use to replace all are SeaDoo's with the older style, as the original carbon junk seals would always fail.

+1
    Wouldn't your ski still be under warranty? If so, I would just have them fix it under warranty so they dont void your warranty.

The dealer ran it when it was serviced and did not think it was a problem. Can I fill the hull with water up to the seal and check it? I checked all my hoses and could not find anything else that could be the problem. I ran it for about 15 minutes with the new Solas and 4" air and had a lot of water in the hull and it splashed salt water all over my filter because it had wet spots and now has rust stains on it. Yes it is the SS Spectre filter.

The stock carbon seal is not that much and I want it done while it's all opened up.

Later, Ken

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken IS255 View Post
    The dealer ran it when it was serviced and did not think it was a problem. Can I fill the hull with water up to the seal and check it? I checked all my hoses and could not find anything else that could be the problem. I ran it for about 15 minutes with the new Solas and 4" air and had a lot of water in the hull and it splashed salt water all over my filter because it had wet spots and now has rust stains on it. Yes it is the SS Spectre filter.

The stock carbon seal is not that much and I want it done while it's all opened up.

Later, Ken
    You are wright better fix it now,dealer may say no problem ,but its his duty to fix the problem if your under warrenty.

The ss spectre filter rusts very fast when used in salt water,you can spray some wd40 on the spectre,but you will loose some rpm's ,because the filter is a bit restricted by the oil sprayed on.

Good luck with the repair.

So can I fill the hull with water up to the water seal to check it?

+1
    the seal usually leaks under acceleration, so you prpbably wont see a leak out of the water, unless there is visual damage to the seal.

+1
    i have three (3) complete stock OEM carbon drive shaft seal kits for RXP's with just dealership start ups on them before they were purchased and then changed to Rad-4's before use....... carbon seal, accordian boot, metal hat seat & C-clip.....u use your own clamps....if anyone is interested let me know........thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stkdss.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	154199  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information