Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

primer kit install...right and wrong way!

Ok, so im having a fuel pressure issue on a ski im building. Today, i pressure tested the entire fuel system. Ok, at 6-7 psi, the pressure was dropping. I look down and see fuel from the 1/8 primer lines running into the carbs. So the primer switch was letting fuel run past it. I call and talk to Osidebill and he asked me were the 'T' for my primer switch was. I look and its BEFORE the 90 main jet restrictor. I know better than this but somehow got ass-backwards when i installed it. Shit happens. When you install the 'T' for your primer in the RETURN line, make sure its AFTER the restrictor! The primer switch will not hold more than 3-4 psi. Just a heads up for everyone, its an easy thing to. I have done alot of ski's and this is the first time ive done this. It was simply operator error! Its easily mistaken. Also, install the 'T' close to the carbs, there is always fuel in there.Bill taps the return nipple on #1 carbs and installs the restrictor there. Im running a fuel pressure guage so the restrictor has to go up stream so the 'T' for the guage can be installed in between.

+1
    Do you happen to have the instructions that come with a primer kit, I am planning on getting one for the gp1200's and would kinda like to familiarize myself beforehand....
    THANKS!

directions

Scanned Document.PDF

if this dosent show up let me know i can email them to you

+1
    Thanks Brandn !!

I know this may seem like a dumb question but you are saying to install the "T" on the return line and the instructions say to install it on the reserve fuel line. Which is right?

Most people install it on the return line so if you have a air leak within the primer system you will not lean out and fry your motor,yes it does say to install on the reserve line but most people know it is safer on the return.

Not to thread jack, but I just discovered today that my primer kit on my ski(99 GP1200X) has the tee on the "ON" fuel line and not the reserve line. Also, my primer kit connects to the carbs at the riva flame arrestor adapters through the oil injection fittings. My oil lines are connected where the choke ports used to be. These modifications were performed by the previous owner, and I recently discovered them today.

1. Should I move the primer tee to the reserve line or the return line. What is the advantage of the return line? ( I think the previous post answered this question, however, I am looking for confirmation)

2. Is there an issue having the oil lines on the former choke ports? Seems to me like there would be less of a chance of losing an oil line with this configuration, but the diameter of the injection orifices of the original configuration are much different. This is where my concern emerges from.

I have been searching all day and have not found alot on this subject.

Hey wood I am bout to purchase a primer and I would also like to run a fuel pressure gauge could you take a pic of the way you got that hooked up i am just not sure how the gauge woks ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    Hey wood I am bout to purchase a primer and I would also like to run a fuel pressure gauge could you take a pic of the way you got that hooked up i am just not sure how the gauge woks ?
    Sure, gimme a call 775-315-0222

Where is the most common place to mount the plunger?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information