Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stuck offshore!!

I was out riding my 07 15F (94hrs) offshore last week, did about 1hrs riding then stopped it for a quick rest. Then after 5-10mins I went to restart it and it wouldn't fire up!!! WTF!! The starter motor was trying to crank it but the engine just wouldn't kick over. Can't really explain it. Had plenty of fuel, full battery charge, serviced ~ 20hrs ago, first time it has ever happened to me.

I tried starting it again with 5min intervals so as to not flatten the battery and same thing. Had an 30 min rest while on the phone to seatow and then tried it again!. Started right up.

I have no clue. I really want to know why this happened as its not a good feeling being offshore in the ocean and your ski won't start.....

Any Ideas......????
    Thanks

+1
    Unfortunatly they do that. I have had it happen to me many times. All I can tell you is it will start eventually. I don't know why it does it but there have been many discussions about it but I haven't seen anyone figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mirror View Post
    Unfortunatly they do that. I have had it happen to me many times. All I can tell you is it will start eventually. I don't know why it does it but there have been many discussions about it but I haven't seen anyone figure it out.
    So all Kawis do this, not just the Ultras?

Youre right its been discussed before but I'm not sure I understand the fix either.

At about 5 hrs, 260X developed intermittent balky start. Sometimes I had to spend up to 10 minutes to restart.

Then problem disappeared. And hours later reappeared.

But now all that happens is maybe 20% of time, no start on first push of green button. Just a whirring (like starter trying to catch). But release button and push again and it fires up instantly.

Its peculiar but Ive gotten used to it. I'm just hoping the little gremlin does not morph into something worse.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    This has happened to my 12f and I could not figure it out. Then.....VAHALA! (the answer)....
    If this happens to you again, take your seat off, let fresh air circulate for a coupla minutes, and then start. Stop, put seat on, start, and ride away.
    This works. When you ride for a long period and stop, condensation from the heat in the waterbox doesnt allow proper ignition. Taking the seat off allows for enough air to counteract this.
    An after-market breather doesn't help. Deleting one waterbox doesn't help. So, just do this, and it'll start.

Blue 182, the problem your describing is a weak bendix.

hey rlovebk. Thanks for your reply. Your probably right you know. I was cruising around at less than 50% throttle trying to dodge seagrass etc, so the engine would of been working harder as my ski was pushing water instead of skimming over the top of it. Could have something to do with the build up.

Every other time its fine but i'll remember that tip in case it happens again..
    15F's are usually pretty reliable for a nat aspirated engine.

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    ...Blue 182, the problem your describing is a weak bendix.
    Thanks for the tip. I dont know anything about this bendix but I'll look into it. Its been a fairly minor irritation but now I'm curious.

+1
    The starter and the gears to start it are separate. If it is under warranty get the bendix fixed

I have also been told to change the sensor that controls the fuel mixture. Personally I let it sit a shart while and then start it. Can be a pain some times but it doesn't happen that often for me, twice a year maybe.

+1
    Check with your dealer, there are fixes for this posted by Kawi . Had an Ultra wit the same issue, Took it to the dealer and they ran the vin and ther were 3 recalls on it, one was for "failure to start". They repaired it as per the Kawi instructions and no more starting issues. Same issue, So I would check with your dealer.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    The title of this thread is not the best idea when you see it on the main page - Has the look that someone is in need of rescue

Exclamation Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by pirate33 View Post
    The title of this thread is not the best idea when you see it on the main page - Has the look that someone is in need of rescue
    +1. I was worried when I saw it on the main page too. It's starting to get a little cold for a rescue mission.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information