Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 gsx wont turn over

I just bought a 1996 gsx that has been sitting for almost 2yrs. I hooked a jump pack up to the battery and the motor will turn and then stop at one point where it will not spin anymore. I can spin the motor a complete revolution by hand, but it is tight.

The previous owner said the motor was just rebuilt, and it does look as if it has because the head gasket looks brand new.
    If anyone has any ideas on why the motor will not turn completly over it would be greatly appriciated.
    Thank you!

Possibly the crank might now have a tight spot due to sitting un moved for so long, would benefit from a strip down and investigate

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    starter relay may be trashed. take a screw driver and touch the two sides and it will turn over. check the grounds too. the one on the bottom of the motor may be corroded but still attached.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The cylinders are probably rusted from sitting. I would pull the head and inspect the cylinders. You can remove the rust with steel wool, and if it is real bad you might consider removing them and honing or boring.

Pull the pump too to make sure it isn't part of the problem. If full of water it can lock up, causing the engine's problems.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncerbeater View Post
    Possibly the crank might now have a tight spot due to sitting un moved for so long, would benefit from a strip down and investigate
    come on bro!
    he said it will turn over, just stops, its probably just rust or low battery.
    take the spark plugs off and spray some WD-40 in the cylinders and put a rag on top of the holes and turn that sucker over.

Ill be working on it today, and post the results.
    Thanks alot for everyones input it has given me a place to start!

I would have to agree with everyone who says the cylinders are rusted. I just got a `96 GSX that had been sitting for a long time. It would turn over with the starter just fine w/o plugs. If you tried to turn it over by hand, I would turn over to a certain spot and bind up. I pulled the head and found just a little corrosion/rust in one cylinder. Thats not too hard to fix, but when I got deeper into the motor, I found that the crank bearings were rusted. The bearings still turn freely (with a little noise). I would tear it down if I was you. You may not like what you find...

I did a compression test and one cylinder barley reads anything.
    Im taking it the rings are bad. Im guessing a rebuild is the only way to go?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like the rings are stuck, i would go with a top end rebuild just to start fresh and have good piece of mind

+1 on the stuck rings. Once you pull the cylinders, you can pretty much tell the condition of the entire motor: crank, pistons, cylinders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information