Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Switching from Gas to Diesel and have ???

Well I am thinking about getting rid of my 05 Hemi and going to a cummins turbo diesel. My questions are not related to brands even though we all know Dodge is the best

I have never had a diesel and think I want one for a few reassons.
    I would get a Mega Cab which is larger
    I think I would go from 10-11 MPG to 18-19
    I would go from say 400hp and 400 ft lbs of torque to say 500 and 750. (Each have or will have bolts on mods)

So what are the down sides to a diesel? Oil changes are expensive?

Towing a 4 place trailer would be easier with a diesel but it would really be the only towing I do and it would be our main daily driver as I cant keep the wife out of my truck!

So for those that have a diesel could you give me some input?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 FAST VE View Post
    Well I am thinking about getting rid of my 05 Hemi and going to a cummins turbo diesel. My questions are not related to brands even though we all know Dodge is the best

I have never had a diesel and think I want one for a few reassons.
    I would get a Mega Cab which is larger
    I think I would go from 10-11 MPG to 18-19
    I would go from say 400hp and 400 ft lbs of torque to say 500 and 750. (Each have or will have bolts on mods)

So what are the down sides to a diesel? Oil changes are expensive?

Towing a 4 place trailer would be easier with a diesel but it would really be the only towing I do and it would be our main daily driver as I cant keep the wife out of my truck!

So for those that have a diesel could you give me some input?
    yea...next time you change your oil at the local lube shop look at the wall with the prices. most diesels take a gallon or more of oil...but on the other hand you can go longer before changing your oil.
    your turning radius is going from turning on a dime to ocean liner radius.
    my brothers farm truck.(6.0 F-350 4dr long bed) has the full banks kit on it plus the exhaust and intake. the faster he goes on the interstate the better mileage he gets...we were doing 100+ and getting 24+mpg

+1
    well lets see... i wanted one because i love the smell... the sound and the power... not to mention the longevity... i've got $1500 into my truck and on 34's i was running 14.2's in the 1/4 mile (37's now and running 14.7's)... then i simply drove home... ready to tow a trailer or take it out muddin... which i do both

(these newer trucks with straight thru exhaust, chip and intake are easily running low 13's)

another plus is resale... diesel trucks easily pull 4-6K more than a similar model with a gas engine

oil changes aren't to bad for me... because i found that walmart has 5 quart jugs of motorcraft diesel oil for $11 a jug... same thing... same UPC at a local parts place is $17 a jug... so $33 for oil and a filter... there's an oil change

i never really read into chevy diesel much... for me it was always a toss up between ford and dodge... love the ford look and interior.... but the engine... bleh the dodge i liked the exterior... the interior needed help... but the engine was legendary... i was looking at a mega cab diesel for the longest time but no long bed killed it for me... and yeah you can pay someone 7k to convert a mega cab into a long bed... but that's a lot of cash. the only downside is that the transmissions in the dodge's have always been a big weak point when modifications start to happen (chips, turbo's, injectors)

the cummins definitely get's better fuel milage than the rest

here is a site for info on the dodge's... i love doing tons of research on things i'm interested in before i buy them... so this will save you some time finding places like green hulk for the dodge diesel engine

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

bunch of general info here
    http://dieseldatabase.com/browse.php

+1
    So all in all you really can drive a diesel now as a daily driver?

I don't want a Chevy I just dont like anything about them and their Isuzu diesel. You can look at them and tell they are built like a cheap 1/2 ton truck.

So Ford or Dodge and I am on my second Dodge now and have really liked both of them. I ran Amsoil ATF and never had transmission issues. I really like the Hemi I have now but 11 MPG sucks and that is more like 10 on the highway pulling the skis so a diesel seems to make sense.

I have a buddy that has a Ford that is steering me away saying that they cost to much to drive, fuel is to much, and that diesels have way more problems.

I just don't see it. I mean Volkswagen make a diesel Bug and Dodge is fixing to release their 2 small diesels for the 1/2 tons and sport utility's so these things cant be all that bad??

It seems most love diesels but a few don't and i want to make sure I wouldn't be one of the ones that wont like them!

+1

I don't want a Chevy I just dont like anything about them and their Isuzu diesel. You can look at them and tell they are built like a cheap 1/2 ton truck.

So Ford or Dodge and I am on my second Dodge now and have really liked both of them. I ran Amsoil ATF and never had transmission issues. I really like the Hemi I have now but 11 MPG sucks and that is more like 10 on the highway pulling the skis so a diesel seems to make sense.

I have a buddy that has a Ford that is steering me away saying that they cost to much to drive, fuel is to much, and that diesels have way more problems.

I just don't see it. I mean Volkswagen make a diesel Bug and Dodge is fixing to release their 2 small diesels for the 1/2 tons and sport utility's so these things cant be all that bad??

It seems most love diesels but a few don't and i want to make sure I wouldn't be one of the ones that wont like them!
    yes you can definitely drive them daily... and make sure you romp on it every so often... or if modified... more often than not... lol... but that really goes for any car...

definitely look and search on that dodge forum and look at people's MPG's you'll definitely be getting better milage... my truck with 4inch lift on 37's and weighting in at 8,000lbs gets 10mpg city and 14 highway at 80mph (road trip to arkansas and back... hand calculated) which is rather poor... also got an intake, exhaust, programmer with custom tunes, head studs and egr delete. so i have about $2300 in my truck actually... i'll be sending my fuel injector control module off soon to be tuned, and the average MPG gain people are seeing is 2mpg... plus more power and better throttle response for about $200

my dream truck which could never be ordered, is a ford body (prior 08 front clip... yuck) cummins engine and chevy interior... however i would like to eventually swap a cummins in my truck... so i'd get 2 out of 3

the transmissions start having issues when you start adding lots of power... again if you look on the forums and ask questions (definitely search first) you'll find out what a "safe" limit is before you start worrying about the trans... Turbo diesel and gas engines see a huge difference in dollar for dollar here... gas N/A engine with a tuner... 10-15hp 30 lbs torque if your lucky... turbo diesel... 100+ hp 200+ lbs torque

from what i recall the dodge diesel's aren't as problematic as the rest... but it's been awhile since i've looked at them for obvious reasons...ford has huge issues with the 6.0l and a a few with the new 6.4... the 2010 model will have ford's in house developed 6.7 which sounds like it'll be rock solid... but we wont know till they hit the streets obviously.

For the 6.0L... turbo's go bad, egr coolers leak, egr valves go bad, head gaskets blow/leak, go bad... think that's it... but the fix is... after market turbo, delete the egr system, install head studs (engine/cab removal required), tuner and custom tunes. all your missing is a set of guages and injectors and your talkin about a low 13 high 12 second truck that will get about 16mpg highway... diesels are addicting... atleast for me they are

the average american perspective of diesels are loud, inneficient, polluting, slow vehicles, and it's just not that way anymore, VW has had diesel's in the bug, golf, jetta and passat for about 10 years now... and it wasn't until fuel prices soared that fuel effiency became a really huge player in car purchases... car companies are being very careful about their diesel cars... but most have plans (or did) on releasing more diesel powered vehicles, heck, over in europe and other area's almost 1/2-1/3 of vehicles are diesels... and up until the economy went south, there was going to be a big roll out of diesel vehicles in america

go out and drive a diesel... maybe find someone on the net that has a modified one that will take you for a ride... Diesels might need a little more attention... but i'm proud to have that responsibility

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashking View Post

my dream truck which could never be ordered, is a ford body (prior 08 front clip... yuck) cummins engine and chevy interior...
    Ive been saying that for years! I would definitely buy one!
    but I would add the Allison trans from a Chevy too

Dont judge me...
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Ive been saying that for years! I would definitely buy one!
    but I would add the Allison trans from a Chevy too
    But built with longevity like a Toyota!!!!!

The one thing that I hate about the new Fords is that SUPER DUTY is written on what like 15 places on the truck!!!!!!!

Banned User
    +1

AHAHAHAHAHAH LMAO cheap your going to buy a dodge talk about built cheap. I would take a duramax any day of the week. You will spend alot more money trying to get to 500 Rwhp with a ford or dodge then you ever would with a Dmax. I can do that with a few swipes of the key board.dodge on the other hand not so easy.

And yes it can be driven every day.

Heres my stock motored dmax with a tune killing a new z06

+1
    My bros work fleet is all Cummins Megas 4x4.

His personal truck (daily driver) is one. Leveled, larger tires, intake, exhaust, and that's it. 25mpg in the mountains where he lives. And trust me, he is not easy on the GO pedal either.

+1
    I cant speak on the quality of Chevy's diesel but the fit and finish of their trucks sucks. Most of the parts swap over from a 1/2 ton and they just don't appeal to me.
    I thought I wanted one years ago when the Z71's were the thing to have. I drove about 6 of them. They all rattled, half had break problems, paint problems and they all had interior issues and rattled. These were trucks with less than 30,000 miles
    After all those drives a guys told me hey I can get you a truck with 1/2 those miles and a year newer for the same money Its a Dodge and I thought I would rather have a wart on my ass.
    I drove it, and was somewhat impressed, he missed my over by $300 so I moved on because I didn't really want a Dodge. I drove 4-5 more and the fit and finish were all way better than the Chevy. I finally bought one and drove it 100,000 miles with no major issues other than what other owners reported. Now I am on another Hemi Dodge and have had only one issue so I figure why change?
    Their value sucks compared to the other brands but hey I didn't pay as much in the first place.

If you own a Chevy no disrespect to each his own.

I am just contemplating the move to a diesel and wonder if it the right thing to do. I know I get 10-11 MPG and a CTD gets way better and I can get the Mega Cab.

One of the links I read had a diesel owner that said they were way to much trouble unless you towed all the time but most don't seem to agree.

Anyone else want to chime in go ahead I can use all the info I can get.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information