How do I fix this scratch / gouge in my hull?

I winterized my SeaDoo today, and when I was working on it I decided to get a good look at the hull. Much to my dismay I found this:

I'm pretty sure its been there for awhile, and I know its not taking on any water. However I would like to fix it. The scratch looks a lot worse than it is, the blue coating appears to be chipped off in that area. What can I do to fix this? Thanks guys!

+1
    Get a patch kit from Spectrum Color. It's easy and permanent. Gel coat on gel coat is the best way to do these types of repairs.

Sand the damaged area so the patch will adhere. Trowel in the gel paste, keeping the repair as close to the net surface shape as possible. When it's cured, you can sand it smooth and buff it out. Do it right & you'll not be able to tell it was there.

http://spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

I patch mine with jbweld, sand smooth and paint with black spray paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Get a patch kit from Spectrum Color. It's easy and permanent. Gel coat on gel coat is the best way to do these types of repairs.

Sand the damaged area so the patch will adhere. Trowel in the gel paste, keeping the repair as close to the net surface shape as possible. When it's cured, you can sand it smooth and buff it out. Do it right & you'll not be able to tell it was there.

http://spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm
    Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately it will have to wait until spring, but I'm not going to ride it til then anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    I patch mine with jbweld, sand smooth and paint with black spray paint.
    That's pretty hillbilly, but I like it! How well is it holding up?

Edit: My color is only available in a quart, and after shipping it would be over $100!! I'm liking the JB weld/spraypaint idea more and more! Although it is on the bottom of the boat, I could just get black and nobody would ever notice...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
    Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately it will have to wait until spring, but I'm not going to ride it til then anyways.

That's pretty hillbilly, but I like it! How well is it holding up?

Edit: My color is only available in a quart, and after shipping it would be over $100!! I'm liking the JB weld/spraypaint idea more and more! Although it is on the bottom of the boat, I could just get black and nobody would ever notice...
    Yep, I'm a hiilbilly...it holds up just fine. It waterproofs it and does not show with the black paint. I've cleaned up several deep gouges this way. Whole lot easier than gelcoat.

+1
    Spectrum is not the only game in town. You've got all winter to find someone who'll do your color. Spectrum might even do a patch kit if you call them.

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to do a rattle-can job on my ski. I have more respect for it than that.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I don't know how popular West Marine is around the U.S. but i bought a muliti color gelcoat repair kit for bout $24.Has genral colors to repair the top deck too.

Thread Information