Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Polaris 1993 650 sl funny noises

Hi I have been on here since spring and I wanted to say thanks so much for all the great Info! I have gotten 2 Jet skis up and running thanks to all your Info!!!
    I was out running my 93 650 sl and I heard a clunk and she died on me suddenly! towed it back in and it wouldnt turn over, charged the Battery wouldnt turn over, pulled the plugs and my front plug had no gap? this was the second time it had happened?
    I now can get it started but there is a clanking noise but can not tell where it is coming from any body maybe have any Ideas? really love to get this baby fixed over winter!

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Jeff!
    If you start it with the front plug out, does the sound change or go away? Did that plug get smashed again? Sounds like a crank issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you need to pull that front cylinder head, and have a look-see. The only way for the spark plug to get hit is if there is debris inside the combustion chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    Welcome Jeff!
    If you start it with the front plug out, does the sound change or go away? Did that plug get smashed again? Sounds like a crank issue.

Thanks for getting back to me! It seems to stay the same and it has gotten smashed twice so far! actually now that I think about it I did not try it with the front plug out and started! and when you say crank Issue just curious what you think it may be? Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Sounds like you need to pull that front cylinder head, and have a look-see. The only way for the spark plug to get hit is if there is debris inside the combustion chamber.

I did hae a sliver of what looked like maybe aluminum? pop out of the port while I was fogging it yesterday but it was so small? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar jeff View Post
    I did have a sliver of what looked like maybe aluminum? pop out of the port while I was fogging it yesterday but it was so small? Thanks
    Possible debris sources;
    Failed lower connecting rod end bearing
    Failed upper connecting rod end bearing
    Piston rings or ring lands broken

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Possible debris sources;
    Failed lower connecting rod end bearing
    Failed upper connecting rod end bearing
    Piston rings or ring lands broken

How hard to do Any of these? or is this now a parts machine? I hope not these older machines are a blast!!! and do you think maybe its the triple fuel pump Issue as I was still running the single?

I am currently rebuilding my 93 sl650 engine...easy or hard is relative, but I can tell you I have never even changed a spark plug before this, and I just pulled the engine out today.

it's not hard, just depends on how much you want to do it. check out the engine rebuild thread on my sig for help and info.

in any case, sounds like you have a engine rebuild in your future as well. enjoy!

How is the motor pulling going? I would love to get right in there and start but gonna have to wait until closer to spring! I already miss summer! LOL

I dont know how far I am gonna go with a total rebuild I took a look at your post and I can tell I will be checking yours out as you do it! I have to tell you I really like both of my 93 650 sls How did yours Go? the best part of mine is that you are really up close and personal with the water, I dont know how the newer ones are? but if I can get her up and running with out spending a ton of time and money I would love to! I wish you luck with yours!

I actually loved riding the 650, I am simply too big for it (290 pounds).

the great thing about it is the weight is so low you can do tricks much easier on it than with the bigger craft.

I ended up getting a virage for me for my own safety...all my friends ride the 650 (which is now the wife's ski).

the rebuild is really easy...much simpler than I would have ever guessed. I just posted up some pictures if you want to go back and look.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information