Thread: 1996 seadoo Gsx

1996 seadoo Gsx

I have a 1996 seadoo gsx trying to get it winterized and she will not turn over unless I pull the plugs? I dont know if the starter is weak or if there is a different problem?

I need to figure out if there is a way to winterize a non running machine as money is tight since I live in Michigan and we have such a great economy here! Is it possiable to just fog thru the spark plug holes and shoot thru thr carbs and turn it over? and maybe dump anti freeze into the hose some one had mentioned earlierand call it done? any Input would be much apppreciated, thank you!

I think if you fog through the spark plug hole and through the carbs, it should be fine. The main idea is to get a nice fim of oil on everything inside to inhibit rust and corrosion. Rust on the inside of a 2-stroker is not a good thing. The 787 in your ski has ball bearings on the crank that really don't like rust. I'm not sure about the water issue. You might look throught the winterizing tips in other threads.

Thanks for the help when I bought it it had not ran in sometime, I replaced the fuel lines and found out sure enough the carb filters were totally clogged , and fixed the spark plug wires, and she was running like a champ, but there is some kind of noise coming from the jet pump area so ordered the parts never got them on, and now she will not start!

Either way I know as crappy as our winters in michigan I do not want to risk permanent damage as she is a spring project I have plans for her next summer! LOL so any help would be great! Thanks for your reply!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    the rattling noise from the pump is normal and all new/old seadoos. it usually sounds like a lose bearing or sometin cans in a box, its normal. test your battery, usually a bad vts could be the problem draining the battery, or the stator not charging it.

They make a kit that will stop the rattling noise. I think I've seen one on Ebay for $20 or so. It is a little different pump cone with a spring and little plastic piece. The rattling is the pump shaft moving back and forth. The spring thing keeps it in one spot. I'm gonna put one on mine eventually. I think it might help the life of the pump bearings by adding preload to them and keeping them in one spot. Maybe...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    They make a kit that will stop the rattling noise. I think I've seen one on Ebay for $20 or so. It is a little different pump cone with a spring and little plastic piece. The rattling is the pump shaft moving back and forth. The spring thing keeps it in one spot. I'm gonna put one on mine eventually. I think it might help the life of the pump bearings by adding preload to them and keeping them in one spot. Maybe...
    I purchased this anti rattle cone/kit that mark describes and it really made a huge difference.

+1 on this after market part.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    yes but no, when the ski is on the water the shaft will move and quit rattling, I believe it will make the life longer of your bearings if you run it on the hose alot. but i wouldnt spend my time or money in that, IMO
    there has not been any reports of bearings failing do to this issue, they fail due to water intrusion into the pump bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    yes but no, when the ski is on the water the shaft will move and quit rattling, I believe it will make the life longer of your bearings if you run it on the hose alot. but i wouldnt spend my time or money in that, IMO
    there has not been any reports of bearings failing do to this issue, they fail due to water intrusion into the pump bearings.

Good point. I would have to agree.

So this is some what normal? I changed the cone fluid and noticed that my wear ring was a little scarred up and there is a rubber insert between the shaft and jet pump that was a little mashed up so I thought I would play it safe and not run it! Are there any other odd things that are quirks abou these Skis?

Thread Information