Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fuel of choice 08' SHO

hey guys,
    i was told when i got my sho that i was supposed to run 87 octane. I read the manual the other day and it says minimal 87 octane. any benefits from running higher octane gas? My fuel of choice is Sunoco Ultra 94 its all i run in my mustang, my suzuki LT250R mx quad, and basically every toy ive ever owned. Everything runs way better on it. what do ya'll think?

Thanks

SHOBOATIN

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBOATIN View Post
    hey guys,
    i was told when i got my sho that i was supposed to run 87 octane. I read the manual the other day and it says minimal 87 octane. any benefits from running higher octane gas? My fuel of choice is Sunoco Ultra 94 its all i run in my mustang, my suzuki LT250R mx quad, and basically every toy ive ever owned. Everything runs way better on it. what do ya'll think?

Thanks

SHOBOATIN

Travis
    i first ran my 08 fxho on regular because thats what the manual said but then i switched over to premium and it felt like the ski was running allot smoother and harder. ever since that i just stuck to premium. never did a before and after gps but im pretty sure the after is better. i would run premium anywayz especially if you run your ski.

I won't go into the whole thing again so I'll just give you a link to read and say don't bother with Premium if your not modified and manual doesn't require it. You may actually be getting less performance:

http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDo...ctaneFacts.pdf

+1
    tested it a couple years back... they run better w/87 octane when bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by Looped View Post
    I won't go into the whole thing again so I'll just give you a link to read and say don't bother with Premium if your not modified and manual doesn't require it. You may actually be getting less performance:

http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDo...ctaneFacts.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    +1
    +2. Lawn mower gas works well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I've read through the previous threads about running regular once stock. My question what is considered modified?

Is modified once you add anything to enhance performance (free flow exhaust, intake). Or is it when you change the SC Wheel.

Right now all i have is a free flow and intake mani upgrade. Am I still ok with regular? My next mods should be
    Solas 13/22R
    R&D SHO High Performance Ride Plate
    R&D SHO Aquavein Intake Grate
    R&D SHO Pump Seal Kit For R&DIntake Grate
    Riva SHO Sponson Kit
    Frozen Boot Intercooler and BOV

Should I go up to Premium? I originally put premium in as that is what I was told, but after reading through the threads decided to save myself a few $ at the station and went back to 89.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    I've read through the previous threads about running regular once stock. My question what is considered modified?

Is modified once you add anything to enhance performance (free flow exhaust, intake). Or is it when you change the SC Wheel.

Right now all i have is a free flow and intake mani upgrade. Am I still ok with regular? My next mods should be
    Solas 13/22R
    R&D SHO High Performance Ride Plate
    R&D SHO Aquavein Intake Grate
    R&D SHO Pump Seal Kit For R&DIntake Grate
    Riva SHO Sponson Kit
    Frozen Boot Intercooler and BOV

Should I go up to Premium? I originally put premium in as that is what I was told, but after reading through the threads decided to save myself a few $ at the station and went back to 89.
    When you upgrade your supercharger wheel, you will need to go to 93 octane.

+1
    SHOdude thanks for the reply

By modified (for the octane purposes) it is if you do anything to raise the compression of your cylinders. You do that with a different supercharger wheel or a different pulley size for roots style superchargers. You also do that by adding higher compression pistons or a cam with a different overlap or radical changes to ignition timing. What your trying to do is eliminate any pinging. On most motors I've worked on, it's pretty easy to hear in the extreme cases. You may have heard it before on a really hot day like going up a hill if your car was old and tired.
    Just adding exhaust and free flowing intake modifications is usually not enough to make an engine ping (in the truck/car world anyway). My experience is not with waverunners so your mileage may vary.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information