Thread: Head pipe assy

Head pipe assy

Need a hand here peeps. I'm tryng to get to my carb's on my 2000 sea-doo GTX 951. The Head pipe assy is in my way and needs to be removed. I have all the mounting screws out, however; I cannot get it off. So my question is: Are there seals that I have to break?|?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You don't need to remove the headpipe to access the carbs. You do need to cut a ball-head allen wrench 2.5" long and epoxy it into 6mm socket. This allows you to access the carb bolts and remove them with the pipe in place.

Welcome to GH and good luck!

Thanks, But thats awfully tight. Wouldn't it be easier to remove the pipe. I Can't really see the bolts for the carbs.

+1
    Never pull the pipe if you do not have to.

Now, the issue will be just what bolts have you removed from the pipe and its mounts since they have to torqued down in the correct order (bad things result from an improperly installed pipe on a 951, very BAD things).

Once you have done it, pulling and installing the carbs with the pipe on is not hard at all. I have not fashioned a handy tool like Robert describes but I get by with an extra long ball head Allen key.

DANGIT!!!! I have removed the clamp, the 3 top bolts going to the engine which has the pickup enevlope around it. And also the mount screw by the large clamp.

I just used a 6mm ball ended allen key and put a 6mm ring spanner on it for some leverage when i pulled mine mate

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    But when you can use a 3/8" swivel-head ratchet...it's so much easier.

I'm all for using my brain over leaving my skin in the hull...off my knuckles.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eonpoint View Post
    DANGIT!!!! I have removed the clamp, the 3 top bolts going to the engine which has the pickup enevlope around it. And also the mount screw by the large clamp.
    Ok, put the clamp back on first if you did not disturb the joint, that is.

Now, you did not touch the nut on the bottom of the pipe flange (where it bolts to the manifold-or engine, if you will)?

Assuming that you did not loosen the nut do the following:

Take the three bolts out of the mounting brackets (three on that front one-by the clamp-and two on back-just under the water intake hose). You need to clean these up and put loctite blue on them when they go back in. Also remove the rear mount bolt (it is the same size hex key as the flange bolts). While these mount bolts are out you want to take a good look at the bushings in the brackets. If they show any kind of wear you want to replace them. If they have been on there since '00, replace them.

Now, clean up the three flange bolts. They go back on with locktite blue and torqu to 30lbs/ft. Since the nut is tight still torque the top bolt down first then the ones on the sides.

Set the brackets where they go and thread in the mount bolts. Make sure the brackets are sitting square and move freely. Now torque down the mount bolts (Check the spec on those, I do not have a manaul handy).

Then, and only then, can you tighten up the bracket bolts.

This may seem like a lot but if you had broken the seal on the joint of the flange you would have had a lot more work to do on top of it and if you do any of it wrong or not at all, you will end up with a dead engine.

Awesome!!!! Thank You.

Thread Information