Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oil leak FZS......again

About 5 hrs after my last oil change Tricia was getting on plane coming out of a no-wake zone and the low oil alarm beeped. I pulled the seat and found the bilge full of oil. We towed it back to the trailer and found that all the oil had leaked out. later we found the oil filter loose and evidence of oil spray near it.
    Replaced the filter refilled with oil and no problems for another 4 or 5 outings........ until today.

Today we ran for just a few minutes. Tricia made about a mile long run and when turning around the buzzer sounded again. We pulled the seat to find the bilge full of oil again. Once at home I checked the oil...just 3/8 inch on the dipstick. But this time the oil filter was tight and all the hoses appear to be intact.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity View Post
    About 5 hrs after my last oil change Tricia was getting on plane coming out of a no-wake zone and the low oil alarm beeped. I pulled the seat and found the bilge full of oil. We towed it back to the trailer and found that all the oil had leaked out. later we found the oil filter loose and evidence of oil spray near it.
    Replaced the filter refilled with oil and no problems for another 4 or 5 outings........ until today.

Today we ran for just a few minutes. Tricia made about a mile long run and when turning around the buzzer sounded again. We pulled the seat to find the bilge full of oil again. Once at home I checked the oil...just 3/8 inch on the dipstick. But this time the oil filter was tight and all the hoses appear to be intact.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    Definitely the first time I have ever heard of this!!

+1
    Are you sure you're not overfilling the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Agree - I am very sensitive about over filling. During my last change I checked and re-checked, however, in the morning after starting and rechecking the level showed over-full. Due to this semi-dry scheme there seems to be trapped oil that does not initially show up when filling, but, eventually finds it way into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Agree - I am very sensitive about over filling. During my last change I checked and re-checked, however, in the morning some oil found its way down to the pan and it showed over-full. Due to this semi-dry scheme there seems to be trapped oil that does not initially show up when filling, but, eventually finds it way into the system.

I use an electronic level sitting on top of the engine to make sure it is level when setting the oil level up. Not really required, just good for those that suffer from retentivitis

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I use an electronic level sitting on top of the engine to make sure it is level when setting the oil level up. Not really required, just good for those that suffer from retentivitis
    With the FZ platform it seems to go beyond the ski being level. I had the ski in the water to check the oil. The level was fine in the water several hours after changing the oil. I checked it multiple times. After riding it, I checked it again and it was over-full. I filled a 55 gallon drum (2009) from changing multiple vechicles that I race and I am very careful about the level. The FZ for some reason does not always show the correct oil level when doing a complete change. This is even after a long drain down period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    With the FZ platform it seems to go beyond the ski being level. I had the ski in the water to check the oil. The level was fine in the water several hours after changing the oil. I checked it multiple times. After riding it, I checked it again and it was over-full. I filled a 55 gallon drum (2009) from changing multiple vechicles that I race and I am very careful about the level. The FZ for some reason does not always show the correct oil level when doing a complete change. This is even after a long drain down period.

I am not going to argue it, but IMO the oil level will not be correct if reading in the water. The FZ has the same motor as the SHO and nothing has changed as far as we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I am not going to argue it, but IMO the oil level will not be correct if reading in the water. The FZ has the same motor as the SHO and nothing has changed as far as we all know.
    This is a good discussion - I checked the level in the water multiple times over a long time period. I then ran the ski and again checked it in the water. That is when I found it was over filled. It went from the correct level to about a 1/4" over full. You could call this a relative reading, which should not change.

I am going to change the oil on land next week. I will check the level and play some what-ifs to see how bow position changes the fill mark. I will post when I finish. If your ski is in the water can you please see how far from horizontal the engine is when in the water.

It wasn't overfilled

thanks for all the responses but I am pretty certain it wasn't overfilled. I have 94 hrs. on the ski and have the oil change procedure down. I use an electric extractor with a long tube to pump the old oil into an old gas can then measure the oil as I pour it into my recycling container. I get 2.8 to 3 quarts every time and refill accordingly. In addition the first time the oil leaked out it took over 4 quarts to get it back on the dipstick.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information