Thumbs up Complete Resto on 1996 xp with a 951/1050 swap

This is my 2nd 951 swap into a 1996 Xp. The first was just a heart transplant. This Project is a ground up Resto with lots of mods. The motor is a Balanced and Blueprinted 1050 !!!! The motor was balanced and BP by Terry at Powerhouse in Ormond Beach FL.
    Over the next couple of months I will display my progress. These first couple of pics will show some of the progress. The hull was completely stripped of everything inside and out. I ground, filled and sanded all the flaws, stress cracks, etc. Next step was to fiberglass in the exhaust hole in the back. (The exhaust exits out the opposite on a 951). Before Painting, I spent 2 full days "Blue printing" the Bottom of the hull and sharpening all the edges. Once painted with the most expensive awl grip, I resanded the back pad of the ski to pick up 1-3 mph.
    After all the Sanding and Painting I Installed new oem rub rails with 2004 rxp green inserts. Ground and modified new worx sponsons. Modified the Umi Billet steering and put custom risers on. I installed a Carbon fiber hood that has air vents on the outside and a hole the size of the bucket on the inside. I will put a custom scoop in the bucket so I can get alot of fresh air in the hull and deflect any water that makes it in.
    As far as the motor install, the rear mounts will bolt right up...the front mount won’t. It is on the opposite side. I took a mock up motor..Crankcases, with crank, pto and stator cover, no cylinder, pist...etc and set it in the hull. I then propped the motor up and installed the engine alignment tool. Found where the motor needed to be and welded a 1/4" L brace to the opposite side of the existing stator brace. (See Pic) Some people Fiberglass the front mount in, but im not a big fan of fiber glassing. Also, another reason I used the existing mount for an 800, Is due to strength and if you ever wanted to put ski back to stock, it would be fairly simple. I will post some new pics next weekend of the motor install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05327.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	154536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05324.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	154537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05322.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	154538  

You don't question the factory's reasoning for putting the mount on the opposite side? Don't you think that if it was as easy as putting the mounting tab on a different side of the stator cover, they would have done it, given that it would have saved them a lot of money?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    They (BRP), relocated the tab bescause the engine leans in the opposite direction than the 800 engine. Although the center of gravity will be off on the front of the engine, mounted this way, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Time will tell if the bracket holds or not.

Nice job so far!

are you going to be using the 950 electronics or 800 w/ msd ?

Hull looks great so far. Good work!

In another thread you said you hit 70 with a stock motor 96xp swap?

What timing curve did you use?

Dean

95spi w\factory pipe/96xp Diggler's Avatar
    Custom Risers!? I was going to do the same to my steering because I ride most of the time standing, and Id figure Id be arching the back less if I did to my Umi set-up like what you have going there. Did you go with like something from snowmobile stuff like powermadd rox risers?

+1
    I use to have a 1996 xp with miller 1050,coffman pipe,14 vain setback.it was a sick fast ski.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Wicked, how fast is your 2000 XP on top? Mel is getting great at increasing the cc of the 951!

+1
    Mid seventies

Seadoo110, nice job. In regards to the bracket welded up on your stator cover, a trick I use when welding is to drill holes through the back and weld through the hole ( parent material ) to the child material. So in this case, drill holes through the stator cover, and weld the bracket from behind for added strength. I have done this on many projects, and people wonder how the two pieces are held together, I usually say....SUPERGLUE !!!

+1
    nice project!

Thread Information