Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New guy really confused...RXP-X mod help

Hey Gents-

This is my first post here and I look forward to learning alot. Please forgive me for such a long post.

Before the responses of "SEARCH," etc. begin, let me say that I have searched and read numerous threads, but to be honest I'm still really confused.

Here's my situation. I've got the RXP-X and my neighbor just got a RXP. We went out the other day and they were just about dead even in the top speed department, though I confess I'm not experienced enough to know the optimum VTS setting for top speed. I did some reading and it seems that despite what the innaccurate speedo on the boat says, both of them top out at a similar 65-67 mph from the factory.

So I'm obviously looking to pick up a few MPH and would be happy with around 72ish on the GPS. I want enough that if I'm behind, I can catch up even if he's flat out.

Now here's where I get confused. I've been reading up on possible modifications and one of the most popular seems to be a new intake grate. It seems though that if you do this, you will pickup top speed but sacrifice acceleration out of the hole...is this the case??

The other modification that I see alot is a 4 inch air intake. Seems to me though that it exposes you to the possibility of hydro-lock, as seen so often in cars with CAIs. I mean, if you roll the ski or something and it gets alot of water in there before shutting off, seems like it could be a problem.

Also, with regards to the intake grate...I ride my ski in the ocean alot, in heavy swells so I would need it to have comperable or better pickup than the stock grate.

I don't really want to spend a fortune on modifying this thing and to be honest, the REVO stuff as nice it is seems really expensive. But if that's what I need to get, so be it.

What do you guys recommend for me? Please try to explain your recommendations to me as best you can. It took me a while just to find out what OPAS stands for...

+1
    First welcome to the forum. I also have RXPX, you did not say how many hours you have, If it is less than 10 it is still being broken in and your speed should increase some. Mine with just the ride plate holes filled went 70.2 gps. I then added an R&d grate, 4" air, a Solas 15/22r and got to 74.1. I then put a 2 degree wedge and ran 75.2 gps this past weeked. You will pick up speed with a R&D or a Worx grate, I think the Worx is better in rough water. If you add 4" air that probably will put over the rev limiter, so either a new prop or have your stock one modified. Best to get a new prop, you will get overall better performance. Those are the basic mods that just about everyone does to the RXPX. OPAS stands for Off Power Assisted Steering.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    First welcome to the forum. I also have RXPX, you did not say how many hours you have, If it is less than 10 it is still being broken in and your speed should increase some. Mine with just the ride plate holes filled went 70.2 gps. I then added an R&d grate, 4" air, a Solas 15/22r and got to 74.1. I then put a 2 degree wedge and ran 75.2 gps this past weeked. You will pick up speed with a R&D or a Worx grate, I think the Worx is better in rough water. If you add 4" air that probably will put over the rev limiter, so either a new prop or have your stock one modified. Best to get a new prop, you will get overall better performance. Those are the basic mods that just about everyone does to the RXPX. OPAS stands for Off Power Assisted Steering.
    Thanks for the welcome! I bought the ski used and after a few rides it has 22 hours on it (been on it 6 hours). I have to put it in for service soon to make sure everything is good to go on it. I guess the first thing I need to do is get an official GPS reading so I have a starting point. I'm thinking of picking up one of those cheap waterproof units from Walmart (garmin I think). What should I set my VTS to to get optimum results?

+1
    I found that 1 above the neutral setting has been the best for me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Minmin View Post
    I found that 1 above the neutral setting has been the best for me.
    +1
    Any cheap GPS will be fine provided its waterproof and can record your top speed, which most do i believe. If you have not read up on how to fill your ride plate holes, do this, as it is virtually a free mod and u should see +1mph. Along with 3 or 4 inch air intake and R&D grate or similar you should be around 73-74mph.
    In regards to the water intrusion, it is said that these intakes are the safest aftermarket setups, but still increase your risk of intrusion over the very restrictive stock setup. I have sucked up some water on occasions, but never enough to cause a drama.
    Hope this helps

+1
    These three mods will get you 5 MPH:

Solas Prop
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=734

Worx Grate
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=993

Air Intake
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1160

As far as racing and top speeds go:

The RXP-X has this cool trim memory feature that lets you preprogram trim settings in two different positions. I have my first preset with the trim all the way down and my second preset at 1 click above neutral where I find I get my best speeds/RPMs.

Before holeshotting(starting fast from idle), I set my trim in to the #1 position which is all the way down. Then I stand up and lean over the handlebars to get some weight up there to keep the nose from coming out of the water. At my size, it doesn't take all my weight, but for lighter guys sometimes they have to literally put their chest on the bars.

When I take off, I keep the weight over the bars right up until I feel the ski hit plane. This happens very quickly. The second I feel that happen, I double click the trim button so it will move to trim position #2 on its own without me having to look at it. Once its on plane and in the second trim position, I move as much weight as possible to the back of the ski.

Do these few things and your buddy will be the next one to post asking how to mod an RXP to beat an RXP-X that's been kicking his butt lately

+1
    Good post Jarret!

+1
    Here's how to swap the prop:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

The grate is super easy to do. The air intake takes a little while. I always cheat and use Riva's instructions when I get stuck

Air Intake:
    http://www.rivamotorsports.com/instr...050_06_rxp.pdf

+1
    welcome to the forum

As for a GPS, here is a cheap unit that will strap to your handlebars

Garmin Forerunner201

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=230

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    welcome to the forum

As for a GPS, here is a cheap unit that will strap to your handlebars

Garmin Forerunner201

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=230

Does that one float / is waterproof? Record your top speed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information