+1

Electrical issue Challenger

I am having an electrical issue on my 98 Challenger 1800. Everything was operational until a recent outing. No known event caused the issues. The following stopped working

Radio
    horn
    courtesy lights

I knew the radio was once wet and never really recovered so I bought a new radio. While installing it I noticed the voltage in the boat's radio wiring would quickly fluctuate between 8 and 11 volts. Battery voltage is rock steady and solid. I threw my jump pack onto the the + and - leads and the radio worked perfectly again. I also noticed I could get the horn to work at the same time.

I tried testing the fuses (which all look good) and I cannot get a reading on the meter when they are installed. Any ideas?

I can't say for sure since you run Rotax engines, but my 2000 has inline fuse holders in the engine bay. Kind of look like over stuffed connectors. There is one for the accessories feed to the dash. Just don't know if what I have on mine is Seadoo or Mercury, if Seadoo, you probably have the same.

Greg

+1
    I just came inside from fixing the boat when I saw your post. That's exactly what it was. One of the main fuse holders near the battery was full of water.

I cleaned everything up and everything is back to normal. The exception is the blower motor. The fuse is good at the MPEM and shows current there when switched on. I am not getting power to the connection at the blower. There is something wrong between the MPEM and blower. I'll look into that a little more later.

Thanks!

Glad you found it! Can't help you at all on the blower, mine is just fed from a 12V accessory, has no tie to the Optimax's computer.

Greg

you might want to spray some wd-40 on that electrical box to get any left over water/humidity out of there...

Thread Information