Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAD4 Racing Torque Plate ??'s

Whats the theory behind this plate? (Why is produces more power) And does anyone have installation instructions or should I get a Shop Manual? (which I need anyway)

Thanks

+1
    I am not an expert, but I think it has something to do with lengthening the exhaust manifold so you can get more exhaust velocity ( exhaust gets out of the cylinder quicker ) reducing back pressure. Mine did not come with instuctions. Should be pretty straight forward remove exhaust manifold, stick the torque plate between the block and manifold, and use a little silicone between everything.

its looks like headers

+1
    Doesn't the torque plate reduce cylinder head temps also?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by red fox View Post
    its looks like headers

I have watched this mod and its gains on these threads.
    The gains seems to be very good.

With that being said a header like the one i run will have even beter gains.

I saw with the header the ski ran leaner then stock mani. I see some say only slight change in AFR with this torque plate mod.

Sorry to hijack but is the closet mod to compare to the header.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i build headders for race cars at my shop all the time ...the worst thing you can do is make an abrupt turn right out of the head...the LOG style manifold does exactly that....kills the velosity ...makes it basically run into a wall...and it goes out the path of least resistance...kinda like trying to run through a door that didnt open as fast as you thought it would.....the spacer just makes the turn a little farther away ...lets it get away from the head a little ...kinda gives it a running start....but still at the wall....the manifolds are horrible for performance..skoepp how much did you gain with your headder...?? thinking of making one for myself

if any of you have ever ridden 2 strokes...the pipes taper... inside the pipes..they use a cone in the exhaust looks kinda like the one you put on your dog....the cone creates the reverb bounce of the exhaust pulse........the distance of that cone from the port has alot to do with where the power comes in ..closer the cone the higher in rpm the power wil be.....ours is probably too close and is out of our rpm range... if it could flow......in shifter carts... they have what is called a pull pipe ..it is a handle that lets the driver move the cone ...so he can get more power top end on the straights..and better low end...in the corners

similar therories are used int 4 stroke exhausts with the reverse megaphone .......they use a cone in the exhaust that tapers ...gets bigger...as the velocity moves the gasses away from the head ..the gass is trying to fill a larger space..and that crates...a vaccume if you willl...(stepped headders same therory)....then it quickly tapers back down ...creating a reverb... the bounce now the gasses are traveling the other direction... and then the same cone then increases the velosity as it reduces in size...forcing it back into the cylinder for better exhaust scavenging ....similar to the therory that rossomoto uses on the throddle bodies..just big isnt good..big enough is...equal length tubes are imprtant ..when applying this theory after a merge collector...so you dont have 2 pulses reaching the cone at the same time ..causing a log jam or cancelling one pulse out with another...

they did a flow comparrison on the j pipes a few years ago and flairing the end of the j pipe made it flow more air..

i have a variation of the torque plate in my cad program..right now that is going to start the turn smoothly..and further increase flow..and push the exhaust back so you can remove the charger..all in one piece..and making spots for egt ports...or o2 sensors if room....should be even better..going to the machienist tomarrow...to get the prototype made..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    i build headders for race cars at my shop all the time ...the worst thing you can do is make an abrupt turn right out of the head...the LOG style manifold does exactly that....kills the velosity ...makes it basically run into a wall...and it goes out the path of least resistance...kinda like trying to run through a door that didnt open as fast as you thought it would.....the spacer just makes the turn a little farther away ...lets it get away from the head a little ...kinda gives it a running start....but still at the wall....the manifolds are horrible for performance..skoepp how much did you gain with your headder...?? thinking of making one for myself

if any of you have ever ridden 2 strokes...the pipes taper... inside the pipes..they use a cone in the exhaust looks kinda like the one you put on your dog....the cone creates the reverb bounce of the exhaust pulse........the distance of that cone from the port has alot to do with where the power comes in ..closer the cone the higher in rpm the power wil be.....ours is probably too close and is out of our rpm range... if it could flow......in shifter carts... they have what is called a pull pipe ..it is a handle that lets the driver move the cone ...so he can get more power top end on the straights..and better low end...in the corners

similar therories are used int 4 stroke exhausts with the reverse megaphone .......they use a cone in the exhaust that tapers ...gets bigger...as the velocity moves the gasses away from the head ..the gass is trying to fill a larger space..and that crates...a vaccume if you willl...(stepped headders same therory)....then it quickly tapers back down ...creating a reverb... the bounce now the gasses are traveling the other direction... and then the same cone then increases the velosity as it reduces in size...forcing it back into the cylinder for better exhaust scavenging ....similar to the therory that rossomoto uses on the throddle bodies..just big isnt good..big enough is...equal length tubes are imprtant ..when applying this theory after a merge collector...so you dont have 2 pulses reaching the cone at the same time ..causing a log jam or cancelling one pulse out with another...

they did a flow comparrison on the j pipes a few years ago and flairing the end of the j pipe made it flow more air..

i have a variation of the torque plate in my cad program..right now that is going to start the turn smoothly..and further increase flow..and push the exhaust back so you can remove the charger..all in one piece..and making spots for egt ports...or o2 sensors if room....should be even better..going to the machienist tomarrow...to get the prototype made..
    +1

Let me know if you start selling them.......

Reviving an OOOOLLLLLD thread. But did you ever make any progress with this, breon?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Unfortunately... Breon is no longer with us to answer your question

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information