Genesis i not running correctly

Just purchased a '01 Genesis i fuel injected not running correctly. Previous owner just had the stator and flywheel replaced. Prior to that is was running fine. I've searched and found several posts that offer tons of helpful info. but after trying many of the suggestions I still am having no luck. Rather than listing all of the things I have tested, here is a breakdown of what my symptoms are: Idles and runs out of water but smokes, In the water - rough idle, stalls, must stay on throttle to keep running, during acceleration engine "surges" up and down, loss of power, after warmup symptoms seem to lessen but still only 3k rpm at full throttle. Engine stalls while decellerating.

sounds like it could be a TPS (throttle position sensor) problem...have you tried idling it with the TPS disengaged?

I am sure you will get more informed replies, but that was what my first reaction was.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The symptoms you describe could be caused by a number of things.

Start with the mechanical things, then the electronic stuff...

Were the replacement stator and flywheel new, or used parts?

What are the cylinder compression numbers?
    Correct spark plugs installed?

What is the fuel pressure?
    Should be over 20 PSI, but under 30 PSI.

Is the gasoline fresh?

Has the engine been overheated in the past?
    Check all the large rubber exhaust hoses for softness, or signs of internal collapse. Closely examine the first big inverted U hose between water box and engine exhaust manifold pipe (item 9 in attached diagram).

If the hose feels at all soft or lumpy, remove it and check inside. If the engine was run without cooling water, the overheated hose can internally collapse, blocking exhaust flow out of the engine.

What is the injector voltage while the engine is running?
    With all injectors plugged in, the White/Red wires should have 40-45 volts DC, and be fairly steady as RPM varies.

When engine shuts down, injector voltage should slowly decline over several seconds. If the voltage drops really quickly, the large capacitor has a problem.

Unplugging the TPS should allow the engine to idle smoothly. If unplugging the TPS makes no difference, or very little difference, then the TPS may be OK.

If unplugging the TPS makes a significant difference to the idle quality, check that the TPS arm still has the plastic nub installed. See photos.

If you remove the TPS to check this, be careful not to over-tighten the TPS bolts when re-installing the TPS. Too tight will crack the TPS housing, which is bad.

Check, remove and clean all ground connections at engine. Battery ground, wire harness ground bolts, ignition coil and ignition grounding, etc.

Have you retrieved the stored EMM service codes?
    How to read Polaris Ficht EMM trouble codes without special software or a computer
    Clearing EMM Service Codes using jumper or TPS cycling

If all the above seems OK, then check the sensors;
    CPS (Crank Position sensor) at top of the flywheel housing should be under 200 ohms, 140 typical.

Remove the CPS sensor and look for damage to the bottom side. Since the flywheel was replaced, I will assume the magnets came loose and caused damage to the stator. The resulting debris may have also damaged the CPS sensor.

Intake air temp sensor, hidden under bottom of flame arrestor base plate, should be around 1,000 ohms

Exhaust temp sensor on outer side of exhaust manifold should also measure about 1,000 ohms. If the engine was overheated, the sensor can become cooked, and need replacement.

Ohm check the ignition coils and plug wires, and consider re-grounding the coils;
    Improving the ignition coil grounding on 1165cc (1200) Ficht engines

Also check for signs of carbon on ignition coil pins, and spark plug ends. Carbon indicates electrical arcing at the connection, which normally should be minimal or not happening.

More good Ficht related info can be found here;
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2781.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	154799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2777.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	154800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6487%5C6487b005.gif 
Views:	35 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	154801  

Thanks for the quick response!! I've checked, tested or corrected most of the obvious things like plugs, TPS, compression, and other components you mentioned in other posts. Here you've mentioned several things I haven't tried yet so time for me to get to work!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, after trying your suggestions I think I have narrowed it down to a fuel system problem. Removed the TPS and everything looks fine but... did a little more troubleshooting and found that the engine seems to be loading up badly - running extremely rich. It wouldn't start today so I removed the plugs and they had black tips with obvious gas on them, similar to a carbed engine flooding. Checked firing with a tester - firing good. Put in a set of NEW plugs properly gapped and it fired right up. Ran for a couple of minutes then stalled. Unplugged TPS - fired right up and ran very smooth. Re-plugged TPS - fired right up and idled badly also a lot of smoke with TPS plugged in - no smoke with it unplugged. Bad TPS? Also could the timing be out? I'm not sure who replaced the flywheel but was thinking they might not have the timing correct.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by metriclips View Post
    ...Removed the TPS and everything looks fine but...

It wouldn't start today so I removed the plugs and they had black tips with obvious gas on them, similar to a carbed engine flooding. Checked firing with a tester - firing good.

Put in a set of NEW plugs properly gapped and it fired right up. Ran for a couple of minutes then stalled.

Unplugged TPS - fired right up and ran very smooth.

Re-plugged TPS - fired right up and idled badly also a lot of smoke with TPS plugged in - no smoke with it unplugged. Bad TPS?

Also could the timing be out? I'm not sure who replaced the flywheel but was thinking they might not have the timing correct.
    All this testing was done on a trailer, not in the water - correct?

TPS do fail. It could be something else, or there could be more than one problem.

Buying a new TPS is probably the next thing to do.

Even if your original TPS turns out to be OK, it is a good idea to have a spare TPS on hand, as they can fail at any time, especially as they get older. This is especially true of the non-pigtail type TPS, which is what your 2001 model uses.

Ficht TPS versions, sources
    1999-2001 non-pigtail TPS, 2002-2004 pigtail TPS versions are not interchangeable

Did you check, or re-ground, the ignition coils?

Read the EMM service codes?

Any signs of an exhaust leak, or soft exhaust hoses?

Did you check injector voltage on the White/Red wire?

Thread Information