Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 gsx-l nasty vibration

Hey,
    i just replaced the counterbalance shaft on my 951 due to seizure now with it running seems to vibrate to much out of water, though in water feels fine....after running it in the water for 10 minutes the bolts holding the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold rattle out. does anyone know why this would happen , or is it possible to install the counterbalance improperly ( i lined the markes up ) thanks. so far i have put threadlocker blue on twice and got filled up with coolant water twice

+1
    Drive shaft or prop might be bent.

While the motor was out i spun it looked and felt fine... would you know how to check to make sure it still isnt?

+1
    First off, did you line up the marks between the CB gear and the crank gear?

Second, what condition are the pipe mount bushings? Are all the bolts in and tight?

yes i ligned the gear marks up. Though is it possible for it to be 180 degrees out or something? .... the bottom case bolt were all tightened according to spec. If you mean the motor mount bushing they were intact and those bolts were tightened down as much as i could get them...though felt wierd going in. Thanks

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    what are your rpms whe its vibrating?
    could be low idle causing it to vibrate.

try giving it just a little bit of gas when it vibrating almost nothing,
    and if it goes away its your idle

+1
    Only thing is there is no way a roughness caused by low idle speed would be vibrating the bolts out of the exhaust flange.

It seems that something else is wrong and those pipe mounts need to be checked.

In what order did you torque down the flange bolts/mount bolts/and mount bracket bolts?

i started with the front one, then back left then right all in a progressive mannor didnt know what the torque spec was bc book said nothing. The engine idle is where it does vibrate the worst but it seems to be a good rpm for idle beside the shaking and vibration.... im guessing there isnt a wrong way to install the counterbalance then. Thanks this help is appreciated... really dont want to take it to the local dealer

+1
    If the marks on the gear are lined up the CB is in time. One of the pointers is on a tooth and the other is on a gap and they are either lined up or they are not. There is no other mark on that CB shaft, it CANNOT be 180 out or the marks would be off.

It cannot be off unless the weights were put on wrong (the fat part of the weights on the CB shaft should be opposite the counter-weights of the crank, this is easiest to tell when they are lined up with the flange of the case, or flat, if you will).

I suppose it is possible that you could have a DI CB shaft (they have a different number of teeth, I do believe, at least the cranks do). However, the shaft itself is different for a DI (it has a rod for the air pump) so it does not seem likely that a difference would not have been noticed.

I was asking about all the bolts on the pipe, not just the flange. They have to be torqued in the following order (and I am not sure which manual you have but the torque spec is important on a 951 so not having it in the book is questionable).

First, with the mount brackets loose (all bolts loose, that is) torque the pipe flange (torque to 17, then go back and torque to 30 lbs/ft). Then, make sure the brackets are still loose you torque the mount bolts to 18 lbs/ft). Then, and only then, do you torque the bracket bolts down (18 lbs/ft).

Different year manuals show different torque values but they are all very similar and as long as the threads are good and you use loctite blue and have good mount bushings you will be fine. If you jump a lot, or ride in rough water, a lot, then extra attention has to be paid to the pipe mounts as it will beat them loose.

Also, was the pipe split? It is a lot easier in one piece, though on that hull it may not be possible (I do not like GSXLs for that reason and avoid working on them). If it was split, you may want to take a close look at the clamp joint and make sure it is lined up properly.

The thing is, I do not have a way to judge if your engine is vibrating normally or not. They can be kind of rough at idle (though not usually on the trailer, but sometimes). That is why I am more concerned with the tangible symptom, the bolts coming out of the pipe flange. This is not normal at all and on a 951 in the water can be fatal to the engine.

Also, the preperation of the pipe flange (and the clamp joint, if the pipe was split) is critical to a good seal and mount. The flange at the manifold and the pipe has to be absolutely flat and clean.

always check the counter weights after you align the marks, keeps you sane
    in pic
    see centre of rod pin aligned with case split, and the counterweight on crank faces the other way, then notice the balance shaft weight faces the crank counterweight and also centered to case split . so you will have the matching set facing each other and the other cylinder away from each other
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	155218  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information