Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

Lightbulb Pre-Filters/Pre-Chargers for Flame Arrestors

Ok so maybe a few ppl in this forum have a few issues with some water getting into the carbs and then to the engine, doesnt matter if you are washing it or just riding a little rough, Well I have aftermarket flame arrestors on all my skis, and when I'm washing the engine compartment is always a p.i.t.a. not to get water into the intake, There are prefilters/prechargers made for this, but for us that enjoy coming up and fixing something for ourselves instead of buying something and going the shortcut way, well I priced some prefilters for my ski's and It would cost me about $50 shipping included, to purchase waterproof prefilters/prechargers, so I did a bit of research, and realized that my under armor shirts are polyster, I put them to the test, i ran water and stuck my hand under it and the water just flowed by withouth going through, it was like silk.
    So this is my invention, bought some under armor shirts for just $9 each and I will be getting my ole lady to custom wrap my flame arrestors to keep water out.

I did an airflow test and the loss is minimum, there is a small restriction but it could be the same with any branded prefilter, I will be posting up some pics later.

NOTE: in case you want to try this out, there are many types of under armor, the one that doesnt let any water in is the one that is black in color, and looks really glossy, some underarmors will let water go through.

+1
    We must protect this engine.

Click Clack.

+1
    wrap it over a shop vac and try to suck up spilt water and see if it does. that could make a good filter sock.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    wrap it over a shop vac and try to suck up spilt water and see if it does. that could make a good filter sock.
    i'l be running dual pro-k and the suction is not focused on one point like vacumm cleaner its a 3" going 360 doing the test with a shop vac would be too exagerating, I dont think a top fuel dragster sucks up that amount of air.
    i'm not losing anything by putting these polyester socks on it. and also if i spray them with either some sort of lubbing film. it will run off water like wax. But in this test we are talking about just a few drops of water inside the hull here and there. I dont do extreme wave jumping or anything just rec riding.

Thread Information