Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation need some info on sunk 951

I gotta buddy thats got a 01 xp that he pretty much sunk, and well he never tore it down until now and its been about 2 months. We took the cylinders off and well, i can see a lot of rust on the crank and its hard to move. Of course i know that the crank will have to have new bearings, seals, etc , but my question anything else and also how hard is it to put everything in "time". He is wanting to just go ahead and get a sbt engine, but i've heard mixed reviews from people on their motors. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

+1
    The only timing part of it is setting the pointers on the CB shaft and crank gears.

Hopefully there was no water in the Magneto.

A 951 is not that hard to rebuild but you may want to have someone do it if you do not have the tools or at least a decent background in mechanics.

DO NOT get an SBT engine unless he plans to sell it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krazykid33 View Post
    I gotta buddy thats got a 01 xp that he pretty much sunk, and well he never tore it down until now and its been about 2 months. We took the cylinders off and well, i can see a lot of rust on the crank and its hard to move. Of course i know that the crank will have to have new bearings, seals, etc , but my question anything else and also how hard is it to put everything in "time". He is wanting to just go ahead and get a sbt engine, but i've heard mixed reviews from people on their motors. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    First take the engine out and tear it ALL the way down. This will tell you what got rusty & what didn't. Won't be much that didn't.

Replace the crank and counterbalancer with remanufactured units. Preferably done with OEM parts.

Magneto is probably a mess. Replace the cup & coil if it is.

You'll need to do a very light clean-up hone on the cylinders and check them for bore, taper & out-of-round. This will tell you if you can get away with a hone job or if it needs to be bored to the next size. If it needs to be bored, then you'll need pistons, bearings, pins, & rings. If you can just hone it, then you can keep the pistons, but nothing else.

By this time your buddy is saying F'it just get an SBT engine! If he is prone to abusing his machine - like sinking it and letting it sit
    then maybe the SBT no-fault warranty is just the thing for him.

If you decide to repair it, then come back, there's more to be done!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    dont worry bro, i got a gtx that took some hurricane damage during Ike. and its been a year, i cleaned it up and all it needs is some carburetors and a top end. the carburetors were toasted engine was preserved alright
    I need some vaseline cause I got bent over on some carburetors, bastard scammed me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    dont worry bro, i got a gtx that took some hurricane damage during Ike. and its been a year, i cleaned it up and all it needs is some carburetors and a top end. the carburetors were toasted engine was preserved alright
    I need some vaseline cause I got bent over on some carburetors, bastard scammed me
    So are you lookin to sell a 951 or what?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    no, its my winter project.
    you interested ziggy?

+1
    There are a few other issues you are going to have to look at when you go to rebuild this ski besides the motor. First you need to make sure the cases are in good shape. Then how bad are the cylinders messed up? Do you need a hone or a bore job? You will need new pistons and a crank. You will need to tear apart the carbs and clean them up, maybe even rebuild them. How much of the ski sunk? I'd pull the gas tank out and clean it out as well, replace with new fuel lines since you already have it all out, just in case you got water into the fuel system. Then you are going to get new gaskets for the rebuild, some 1211 3 bond sealant, put that sucker together, set it all back up, make sure to align the motor, etc. Its a lot of work.
    If you want to sell it, well pricing is an issue. I just saw over on PWCToday were Wayniac just bought 2 1998xps for $800 with blown motors. Another guy on here just bought a XPL for $300. So I am going to guess your only going to get about $500 max for your ski with the blown motor. Mainly when you can't really prove that the electricals are working.
    And trust me when I tell you this, if you got water in that motor, do NOT run that crank. Just ask Krunch, it will eventually break the rod and end up through your cases, then your motor is pretty much worthless.
    Good luck. I'd be interested in the ski if you want to sell it.
    SHOOTER

+1
    You had bring that up.

It is true though. We had that sucker cleared out and ran it for at least an hour and a half total by the end of the next day and it still ate a rod two months later.

thanx for in the info guys, i'm not sure what he's goin to do yet. But i'm currently putting a top end on mine, but i'm concerned about the motor alignment now, exactly what are u talkin about because i pulled my motor out of my ski. Just curious now

I think the guys are right in saying not to run that crank. I've got a crank with some lightly rusted bearings. They aren't too bad but a friend of mine at work made a good point: even if a bearing has a little rust it will destroy itself. The balls and the bearing races get pitted by rust and after they are run and hot, they fracture and break. The needles in the con rods are the same way. At minimum, I would pull the crank and if nothing else, clean and lube it well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information