Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

SL650 pump rebuild

So I got new bearings installed in the pump of my 94 SL650. The 'bake the casing and freeze the bearings' method worked very well! My new seals just came in today and when I went to install them I noticed something. My pump stator has a couple chips out of a few vanes and beat up leading edges. Is it worth just putting the seals in and running it as is, or do I need to 'clean it up' first to take the roughness off, or do I need to replace the stator? I also noticed the impeller has rough leading edges which I could probably clean up. It must have taken in some rocks or crap. Is it a good idea to polish the impeller to a nice smooth polish, or should I be looking for a new one of those too?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Post some clear photos if you can.
    Use close-up mode on the camera (flower icon).

In general, you can file the roughness down on the stator blades. Don't overdo it, and use the finest grain file that will do the job.

On the impeller, you can also smooth things down, but use a fine file, and don't take off any more material than necessary.

Around the outer edges of the impeller blades, there may be a small but sharp raised ridge. That ridge you can smooth down to be flush with the flat of the blade, but do not make the outer blade edge rounded.

It should still have a fairly square profile where the blade runs near the wear ring surface. And don't file the diameter of the blade any smaller at all.

Nicks and dings in the blades will cause localized turbulence in the water flow. Small imperfections are generally not an issue, but the larger the blade damage, the more thrust is lost.

Here's some pics of the pump parts:

This one shows the worst chip out of the stator blade:

This is the only other one that has a bad chip:

As you can see, I already put in the new bearings

Otherwise not too bad:

This shows the leading edges of the impeller:

And the nice flat side:

The back side, there is a small dent along the trailing edge of the lowest blade in this pic:

Here's a closer shot:

The rear end view:

I am also going to show the wear marks on the impeller housing, even though I will be getting a new one before it goes back together:

I don't mind spending some time filing, polishing, or whatever it takes to bring it back to life. I just want to know if it is worth it with that chip in the stator.

+1
    I have seen a lot worse still in service.

Smooth out the rough edges, and bend or hammer+anvil the really bad dings back into shape as best you can. Should run OK.

It is only a 650 engine, so you aren't trying to harness huge amounts of power. As long as the blade edges and dings aren't too rough, it should work just fine.

Measure the gap between the impeller blades and the new wear ring. Spec'ed maximum gap is 0.020", and recommended is 0.010" or less. I am sure there are plenty of older jet pumps with more wear than that, but you do lose some thrust efficiency as the gap grows.

A perfect impeller and stator would work a little better, but you might not be able to even tell the difference without instrumentation.

if this is a 146mm pump, then I have extra 650 impellors, courtesy of Keddano.

would be happy to send you one for the cost of shipping. pretty sure these are new.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tenjuna View Post
    if this is a 146mm pump, then I have extra 650 impellors...
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    ...pump of my 94 SL650...
    1994 jet pump would be the newer, modular type , which has the 148mm impeller.

1994 was the first year for the modular pump. 1992-1993 used the one piece 146mm pumps.

yeah sorry I guess I was too lazy to scroll up and look at the year...had it in my head he had a 93 like me.

No need to apologize....I really appreciate the offer. I had thought about getting a Solas impeller, but I need to remember it is still a 650. I am not building it to be a hot rod speed freak go-faster-than-everyone-else machine. I do appreciate a good solid launch though!

Harry Klemm at Group K might have a Solas Swirl prop that would work for you:

http://www.groupk.com/a1props.htm

At the bottom (Skat 12/17 Swirl 148m says it's for 700 but it's the same pitch for 650)...he had discounted to $120 plus shipping for me...e-mail him and ask.

[email protected]

After taking a closer look at the rough edges on my impeller (with a fine file ) I found that it wasn't as bad as it looked. It cleaned up very well, and should work just fine for what I intend with this ski.

Now, the ride plate and intake grate, on the other hand...

...that's going to have to be it's own thread. (I just flipped this hull over to get a closer look for the first time since I got it!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information