Winterizing by Pumping Antifreeze through flush inlet

Hi

I have a question about winterizing by pumping antifreeze through the flush inlet located near the pump on a Sea Doo RXP.

I used a 500 GPH bilge pump attached to the flush inlet along with a kiddie pool w/ 3 gallons of antifreeze in it. Fired up the Sea Doo, connected the bilge pump to a battery and waited. Here's what I saw...

A lot of white smoke exiting the pump area (unusual, never seen this amount or color of smoke before) and dribbles of antifreeze coming off the ride plate. In addition I estimate less than 1/4 gallon of antifreeze was actually pumped into the Sea Doo

The dribbles of antifreeze surprised me because when a garden hose is connect to the Sea Doo for flushing a large amount of water is discharged from the pump area. I checked the discharge from the bilge pump when not connected to anything and it was producing a good enough flow that I would have expected more antifreeze to be cycled through the Sea Doo.

I have an Atlantis quick connect flush kit installed on the Sea Doo. I wonder if the quick connect was somehow limiting flow of antifreeze as the stuff I was using is thicker than water.

I would ultimately like to know if I should try this process again (without the quick connect flush kit) to get more antifreeze into the machine or if the small amount dribbling out the exhaust was enough to safely winterize this machine.

I'm sure someone may chime in about popping off the intercooler hose and pouring antifreeze into the system that way. I have done this before and would prefer to do it the more efficient way of pumping antifreeze through the flush inlet.

+1
    Do it again without the quick connect and see what happens!

+1
    The thing about the 500gpm bilge pumps is they are designed for high flow with no head pressure. If your quick connect has a check valve in it, that and the height of the discharge column may be more pressure than than the pump can overcome. Try using a fountain pump or something with a little more outlet pressure.

I have both of these, and they both work well pumping out of a bucket:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9576
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41287

Thanks for the input

the engine is already fogged - was hoping the little bit of antifreeze that actually made it's way through the system would be enough

just put a 3 foot piece of garden hose on the flush port, put a funnel in the end of it, start the boat and pour a gallon of antifreeze into the funnel. shut it off and you are done. I think fogging is overkill anyway. I haven't done it on my 04 or my P-X and they run great.

Banned User
    FOG THAT ENGINE OR U RUN THE RISK OF HAVING A VALVE RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pull the injectors and spay down the holes, also down the sparkplug holes as well, and yes the hose with the funnel idea is fine, i do same way just i have a adpt on the end that screws right onto the gallon jug.

how much fogging oil do you put down the plug holes?

Banned User
    I spay about 3 to 5 seconds in each hole. same with the injector holes.

Winterizing Intercooler

If I've pumped antifreeze through flush inlet (I use a small drill mounted pump), do I have to do anything else to make sure the intercooler is protected from freezing?

Thanks.

Thread Information