Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R&D ride plate shims

I had the dealer install the R&D ride plate along with the other stage 1 goodies from Riva. Since they did the install, I never saw what the shims looked like with the ride plate. Are they just washers? Thats the only thing I seem to be able to find in the box of parts they gave back to me? Also, do you have to remove the ride plate to install them? Or can you loosen the front bolts and remove the rear ones to put them on? Thanks. I did try a search but couldn't seem to get the info needed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jefros View Post
    I had the dealer install the R&D ride plate along with the other stage 1 goodies from Riva. Since they did the install, I never saw what the shims looked like with the ride plate. Are they just washers? Thats the only thing I seem to be able to find in the box of parts they gave back to me? Also, do you have to remove the ride plate to install them? Or can you loosen the front bolts and remove the rear ones to put them on? Thanks. I did try a search but couldn't seem to get the info needed.
    Under the assumption your are talking about FXSHO, 99% of the time they are just washers. Look to see if you can see anything between the ride plate and the hull. Was your R & D plate modified by Jim?

fzs, not modded... The shop said they did not use the shims but the only thing I could find were some small (stainless?) washers in a zip lock bag with some bolts and misc stuff..

+1
    fzs, not modded... The shop said they did not use the shims but the only thing I could find were some small (stainless?) washers in a zip lock bag with some bolts and misc stuff..
    The FZ peeps are going to have to chime in on this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    The FZ peeps are going to have to chime in on this.

I started by just removing the stock spacers, then found I actually lost a little speed , then I installed .09" stainless steel washers in the front holes, I picked up the .5mph I lost and gained another .8mph back to back. But yes I just bought s/s washers.

+1
    Yes the R&D plate comes with washers and you use the stock spacers you can add the washers to the rear bolts to hold the front from bouncing if you need to but I run mine without the washers and it runs fine.

Did I miss something

I dont remember any washers other than the the one that the bolts go through.

I placed the ride plate flush against the hull and bolted it into place.

Where there washers to shim this plate and if so is it for the front of the plate or rear..

Maybe I am comprimissing speed ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sabretooth30 View Post
    I dont remember any washers other than the the one that the bolts go through.

I placed the ride plate flush against the hull and bolted it into place.

Where there washers to shim this plate and if so is it for the front of the plate or rear..

Maybe I am comprimissing speed ?

Yes i lost speed with the rideplate bolted flush to the hull. Just go to ace hardware and get stainless steel washers that the bolts will fit through. Have a salesman there measure them for you with calipers. most are using between .060 and .090 , i used the .090 and that worked great.

I may have missed something, but, there is some confusion here. For the FZ platform and the R&D ride plate here are the details:

1. The R&D ride plate utilizes the factory shim plates. These are stainless plates that help distribute the load to the hull. These are fastened to the hull from the factory with adhesive.

2. The R&D shims are stainless steel fender washers.

3. The shims only go in the back two bolts if used at all.

4. No shims should be the fastest.

5. The max shim setting is the most aggressive for hook-up, but, the slowest.

sho shim setup

Does the sho require shims?

Is the fastest seting the one with out any shims?

Currently i have the plate flush with the hull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information